Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Heat Adaptation

Yesterday was some good work in some hot weather.  Today, it wasn't as warm, but I was looking for more of the same.  I got out to run in the afternoon.  I was considering running around my neighborhood, but opted instead for the D&L from the Cove Road Trailhead.

The temperature was around 70 (about 10 degrees cooler than yesterday).  To counter that and get used to the heat, I wore a lightweight long sleeve shirt.  It was a little breezy, so things weren't quite as challenging as I'd like.  It was a good workout though.

I like running this section of the D&L.  I headed north and it is a bit of gradual climb.  Now that the leaves have come in, it's a beautiful trail.  The trees are overhead and the river is off to the side.

I started off much slower than yesterday.  The legs were pretty good, but I could feel the effects from yesterday's challenging workouts.  Two young girls on bikes were at the trailhead when I started and they passed me in the first half mile.

I encountered a few bikers and some walkers, but mostly I was alone with the trail.  The slow pace made this run much more reasonable than yesterday.  I didn't overheat early, even though I was hot.  The sweat began pretty soon.  The first mile was an 8:30.

I wanted to at least go 2 miles out and back and then 2 more out and back in the other direction.  That would give me 8 miles total.  That seemed reasonable for heat training.  I cruised along and enjoyed the scenery.  Mile 2 was a 7:56.

I passed a couple on the trail.  The guy was in a wheelchair and the woman was sitting on his lap.  That seemed kind of weird.  Since I was feeling good, I continued on.  I often like to get more mileage in on the first out and back portion of a run like this.  I figured that if I could get to mile 3, I'd be good.

I got to mile 3, with that one run in 7:41.  I wanted to add just a tad more.  I went out to 3.25 miles before turning around.  That would be 6.5 miles when I got back to the car.  Most of the run would be over then.  I was kind of disappointed that there was more breeze on the way back.

I was happy to get to mile 4, with a 7:40 mile.  I focused on miles 5 and 6.  I began daydreaming during this part of the run.  I rarely do that.  I often don't think of much of anything when I run.  Now, I was pondering a race that I'd like to create.  I want to do a 3/4 marathon.  I was trying to think of courses.  Most of the good options for that are already used, so it would probably have to be a repeat course or part of a course.

Mile 5 was a 7:36.  Mile 6 didn't quite seem correct as it was only a 7:56.  The overall pace climbed and it seemed like maybe the GPS lost its signal.

Because of that, I guess I picked it up in the last 2 miles.  It did help that I was running downhill to the trailhead.  By now, I was getting quite hot.  Mile 7 was a 6:51.  I was cruising and my shirt was now soaked.

I wanted to get to 7.5 miles and turn around.  However, at 7.45 miles, I got to the house with the dog.  It was barking at me, so I just decided to turn around slightly early.  I was moving pretty well and starting to tire.  I was carrying my handheld.  I do have to get used to this, when running at a faster pace.  It is also hard to drink and breathe.

I was glad to finally finish up.  The heat was starting to bother me.  That final mile was a 7:11.  It was a quality session.

I'm also trying to work on other little things in my training.  I hate doing any indoor workouts, but I spent some time doing core work and also lifting with the quads a bit.  This is my second time doing that this week.  Whatever helps my performance, I'll take it.

Tomorrow, Kelley and I are probably running the morning.  I might overdress then too.  Since it is a slower pace, that would be good.  That will likely be my only run of the day.  I might race a 5k on Thursday evening.  I'm not doing too much this week, but I'd still like to keep sharp.

8 miles - 1:01:20 (7:40 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment