Thursday, May 29, 2014

Battling Through Another Tough Run

Yesterday, I somehow managed to get 20 miles in when not feeling up to it.  Last night, I didn't sleep well, so I was super tired this afternoon.  I considered skipping the run.  Originally, I wanted to run a hard 8 miles, but I figured that that wasn't in the cards.

I thought about resting and running later, but I had an evening work order, so I would've had to run after dark.  Finally, I reluctantly laced up the shoes.  Since I didn't have a lot of time, I opted for the neighborhoods around my house.

The weather was about as close to ideal as could be expected for this time of year.  It was cloudy and cool.  There was some humidity, but that is expected.  I wore the usual summer attire.  I was sweating by the end, but not too bad.

I started off and felt like complete crap as I entered the other neighborhood.  I was so tired and really feeling it.  A half mile in and I was figuring that I might not run more than a mile.  I might as well call it a day.

Finally, I talked myself into running 3 miles, no matter how it felt.  Things got a little better toward the end of the first mile, which was a solid 7:44.  I was pushing it a bit.  I ran the short loop first.

I headed out toward the main loop.  I felt better as I went along.  Going slightly downhill helped.  I came through the second mile at 6:43 and that was very encouraging.

By now, I knew I was going to make it through more than 3 miles.  How far I'd go, I had no idea.  I was pushing a bit and breathing heavy, but settling in.  I started to enjoy the run.  The 3rd mile was an even faster 6:31.

I ran the other loop off of the main loop.  I passed a woman that was walking.  Going up the hill didn't slow me down.  I've run here often, but I don't usually push the pace.  A dog that I forgot about ran next to me and started barking.  It scared me, but it didn't leave the yard.

I was then back onto the main loop.  Mile 4 was a fast 6:26.  That certainly wasn't bad on a tired body with slightly sore quads.  Really, they didn't feel too bad after 20 miles yesterday, but they weren't sharp either.

The long hill was kind of tough, but again it didn't slow me.  I was pleased to hit mile 5 with another 6:26.  This was good because I was running around what I hope will be my half marathon pace next week.

I figured that if I at least could run hard until mile 6, I'd be good.  I kept pushing over the hills, but they were taking their toll.  I didn't slip yet though.  Mile 6 was a 6:32.

I continued on.  I started getting a side stitch, but it wasn't too bad.  I came past mile 7 with another quick mile.  It was a 6:30.

There were more hills in the final mile and it was tough.  At times, I had to battle a breeze too.  I was nearly at the end, but I would've had to wait to cross the highway, due to traffic.  Therefore, I turned around and headed back through the neighborhood for the final 1/3 of a mile.  I worked hard to finish up with a 6:24 mile.  I was pretty close to my limit.

It was a tough run, but I'm glad I got it done.  I need challenging runs like this.  They'll help me improve.  The overall pace was a 6:40.  The final 7 miles averaged a 6:30.  That's great on a hilly course and I'd take it as a half marathon pace next weekend.  I probably should run hard more often on this challenging course.  The rolling hills make it tough, but not too overwhelming.

I did some strength training this evening.  I thought about doing some drills, but I would've been rushed with daylight and I was sore.  I think I'll head over to Lafayette tomorrow, to do those.  Other than that, I'm going to take the day off.  I'm hoping to run a 5k in Forks on Saturday.

8 miles - 53:18 (6:40 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment