Sunday, February 9, 2014

Time to Focus

My running has been amazing over the last few months.  I've trained well and been improving like crazy.  The impressive thing is that I've done so, by just running.  I've had no focus and have been thinking about a lot of other things.  Maybe that's actually why I'm doing well.  Regardless, I have some big races coming up, including my goal race.  Now, it is time for me to focus.  In two weeks, I'm running a half and it is five weeks until my marathon.

I want to make this my last big buildup week.  I still wanted this to be a fairly easy Sunday run though.  I thought about running in some new neighborhoods, to break up the monotony of running in my neighborhoods all of the time.  I figured that it just wasn't worth the drive though, not for a shorter run.  The plan was to run only 7 miles.  The trails have been in crappy condition since the ice storm.

The temperature was warmer than this winter's normal.  However, it was still below freezing and on a cloudy day with a slight breeze, it could get chilly at times.  I wore a jacket instead of a fleece vest.  Everything else was the same as usual for winter.

I started from my house.  I didn't feel like running the loop in my neighborhood or running in the big neighborhood at all for that matter.  I wanted to go to the neighborhood on the other side of the school and run to the industrial park.  Doing that as an out and back is close to 5 miles in itself.

I started off feeling strong.  Breaking the last two days into pairs of shorter runs definitely helped.  The legs haven't felt it since before I took two days off last week.  I went over one of the icy paths into the other neighborhood and almost fell.  I'm still doing good all winter though, when it comes to falls.

I wasn't planning on much effort today, but I worked on the mental part of my running.  I've been achieving my goals with such ease lately, that I haven't pushed myself enough during races.  I started thinking of some things to run through my head during races to give me that extra edge.  I hope to put them to the test during tough workouts and the races.

This caused me to run a little harder than I normally would.  The first mile was an 8:12 and every mile after that was under 7:46.  I felt good, even going into the wind at times.  I ran a short out and back on a dead end street in the neighborhood.

It was a nice downhill to the industrial park.  I looped around there and was at about 3 miles when I got to the end of the road.  I ran this little dogleg around another small neighborhood to add mileage just a bit before climbing uphill.  Because maybe I was pushing it a tad, I started to tire around mile 4.

I thought for some time about maybe running 10 miles.  Then, I thought wiser of it.  If I want to add miles on, it is better to do it later in the week than earlier in the week.  I have plenty of big runs upcoming.

I went down a different dead end road on the way back.  I got back to the school and was past mile 6.  However, I had already changed plans and did want to add a single additional mile.  Rather than run my neighborhood, I decided to cross the highway and run a shorter loop that I normally do.  I ran over there, then ran a full loop of my neighborhood and finished up with a partial loop there as well.

The legs never got sore and it was a good run.  I think running 10 miles or more in a single run on back to back days is kind of the tipping point.  My body can handle 7 or 8 mile runs much better.

The rest of the week is going to be tricky.  Since I'm making this my last big week, I'm hoping for a 23 mile run.  I want to at least run 20 miles for that.  I know now that my body needs a day off after that.  Ideally, I'd run that long run tomorrow.  However, I'd like company and Emily is available Tuesday to run some of it with me.  That would be a huge help to finish it.  Tomorrow, I need to take it easy, but still put in decent mileage.  Maybe I'll run a pair of 5 milers.  It is snowing now, so I'll see what that brings too.

8 miles - 1:01:37 (7:42 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment