Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dusk Run

Whenever I have big weeks, I get my runs done.  Whenever I cut back my mileage, it is hard for me to even get out the door.  It was great weather today, but I slacked off in the afternoon and took a nap.  Part of it is that I'm sick of running the same place.  Things still aren't plowed, so I stuck to the neighborhoods again.

The plan was for 8 miles around the neighborhoods.  The sun was just starting to set when I began.  It was a nice dusk run.  I did like the idea of running most of the run in the dark.  That meant I wouldn't check on my watch too much.

The temperature was still in the low 40s.  I didn't wear gloves and my hands were chilly at the start.  Once I warmed up, they were fine.  I wore shorts and a ColdGear top.  It was a good selection.

I decided not to start on my own neighborhood.  I ran across the street to start.  Early on, I came across another runner.  He commented that he didn't have a headlamp because he didn't realize he'd be out after dark.

I was surprised that I saw a couple other runners.  I almost never see anyone out running these neighborhoods during the winter, in daylight or at night.  I came upon a bunch of walkers too.

I cruised along nice and easy.  The legs felt awesome for the second straight day.  They are so fresh after all this rest this week.  The first mile was a little over 8 minutes, but every other one was much faster than that.

I was going to run the normal route.  Then, I had a car waiting for me at an intersection.  I decided to add a shorter loop instead.  I headed back on the regular route after that.  I ran around the long thin loop to get over an additional mile in the run.

It wasn't too bad of a route.  However, I did come across a lot of cars.  It was early in the evening, so that wasn't a surprise.  I usually run later at night if I do run.  I was able simply enjoy the run.

When I got to the back half of the big loop, I decided to change it up.  I always run it clockwise.  This time, I ran it in the opposite direction.  It was good to change things up and get used to running the hills differently.

I ran the loop across the road in the opposite direction too.  I was now around halfway done.  I enjoyed the weather.  I passed some of the walkers for a second time on this part of the course.

I came back nice and easy.  I realized that when I got back to the school, I'd only have a mile left.  The pace was great.  Four of the final five miles were under a 7:30 and the effort was still easy.  I did have some issues because I wasn't feeling great from what I ate for lunch.  That was only a minor inconvenience though.

The pace got close to 7:30.  I ran a 7:12 mile 7 and mile 8 would've been almost as fast, but I had to wait to cross the highway.  I looped around the school parking lot 3 times to finish up the run with a 7:21 mile.

It was a great run and I feel awesome.  I can't wait for this weekend.  I should run very well and I think I can achieve my goals.  I might even be able to push more than I originally thought.  The weather could be a factor too.  It will still be cold, but shouldn't be as bad as most of the days this winter.

Tomorrow will be a rest day.  I'm staying overnight in Syracuse on Saturday.  I'll run the course that afternoon.  I'm planning on an easy 5 miles there.  I'm getting very excited for the race and to see what I can do.

8 miles - 1:00:23 (7:33 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment