Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Only Did 7

Yesterday it snowed so much and I was kind of depressed because it threw off my schedule.  I wanted to do a long run, but instead only got 10 miles in.  I was hoping for 15 or more today.

I went to Riverview, but they didn't plow there.  Nothing surprising, since another storm is coming tonight.  That left me no choice besides running around my neighborhoods.

I started in the afternoon and conditions were perfect.  It was quite warm by this winter's standards.  The sun was shining bright.  That is one nice thing about the day after a snowstorm, it always seems to be sunny.  I wore a jacket over my lightweight long sleeve shirt.  I had on gloves, but didn't need a headband.

I started with the loop around my neighborhood.  The quads were kind of beat yesterday.  My legs as a whole weren't all that sharp when I started.  I figured I'd continue on and see what they have.

After that, I headed into the other neighborhood.  I was going to start with just the regular loop and see how I felt after that.  It would get me to 6 miles anyway.  My quads continued to just be so so.  I used KT Tape on them and that might've helped, but there was still definitely some soreness.

Miles 2 and 3 were nice and easy and slow.  I carried on.  I ran up the steep hill.  I'm getting used to these hills, but they still aren't exactly easy.  By mile 4, it was looking like a short run.

At least I was able to enjoy the conditions, so I wasn't totally miserable during the run.  A lot of the snow was still covering the tree branches and it looked stunning.  I couldn't have asked for much better than that.

By now, I was figuring on only running the large loop to finish up and then maybe adding a little more to get to 7 miles.  I continued to cruise along.  The legs weren't getting better, but they weren't getting worse either.  Still, I figured I wasn't accomplishing anything if they aren't close to 100%.  I'm just grinding out miles if I continue.

I did want to get to at least mile 7.  Therefore, when I got back to my neighborhood, I did the loop around there again.  I was starting to sweat and I was getting tired too.  It wasn't as much as I wanted to do, but I was glad to have done something and I enjoyed the day nonetheless.

I guess I have to accept the fact that I can't put in 70 mile week after 70 mile week.  Not at this point in time anyway.  I need to back that down to maybe 50 miles a week and perhaps just get more qualities runs in.  I already have a good base to work from anyway.  I just need to sharpened up a bit before I test a marathon.

As far as that goes, I'm really starting to lean to trying to get one in in March.  I wanted to do it later and be more prepared, but I might as well cash in now while I'm running well.  I'd probably be close to a sub 3 hour marathon anyway and even if I don't get it, I still may BQ or I can at least run a fall marathon.

Tomorrow, the snow should mess with things.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm not running at all.  My body clearly needs another day of rest.  Emily and I were talking about days to run.  Maybe we'll get together on Thursday morning.  Otherwise, I'll try to run semi long again on Thursday by myself.

7 miles - 55:52 (7:59 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment