Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Finally Somewhere That was Plowed

We've had so much snow this winter.  Some places have been pretty good with clearing it after storms, others not so much.  After the huge week of storms, it seemed like almost everyone gave up.  Finally, they are starting to plow again.

The plan was to run with Emily today.  Tom had said that the Palmer bike path was plowed, so Emily and I agreed to meet in a shopping center off of 25th Street to run 6 miles at the path.  She has been having some injury problems and hasn't run outside since our last long run together 2 weeks ago.  I just needed some easy miles to recover from my half marathon.

Of course it is back to being cold this week.  I had on my usual winter attire, including the fleece vest.  There was a bit of a breeze, but really it was just the usual.  I'm so used to the bitter cold by now.

Two sections of the path intersect and they can't really plow the hill where they meet.  I told Emily that it would probably be snow covered and I was correct.  I ran up it sort of fast.  It was crunchy and thus fairly runnable.  After that came an icy section.  Emily wisely walked most of that.  I ran over it and my one foot slipped.  I'm so ridiculous that instead of waiting for her at the top, I ran a short out and back until she was there.  It was probably about .02 miles.

There continued to be some icy spots that slowed us down before the first road crossing.  After that, it was clear.  This first mile was a slow 8:54.

We picked it up once things cleared up.  We passed a few walkers in the park area.  I didn't look at my watch and couldn't believe it when I did look down and it was already 1.75 miles.  Running with Emily and chatting away is so awesome and it makes running a breeze. 

I wasn't sure if we'd have to do multiple out and back segments, but it turns out that we didn't.  We ended up going downhill toward the boat launch.  We turned around at mile 3, before we really hit the steep drop.  I almost don't even recall the uphill after the turn around, because I was enjoying the conversation.

The second half of the run breezed by just as fast as the first.  Two of the miles even were run under an 8 minute pace.  I was happy that Emily wasn't having any issues with the injury.  I was well recovered from my half.

We went past the post office and Emily didn't realize the road we were actually crossing until she saw that.  I often forget about that road and the Dunkin' Donuts road.  The icy section was just past that.  I suggested that we head toward Dunkin' Donuts and run on the road to finish up.  I then realized that we could cross the road and run through the Easton High School parking lot.

I saw that we were almost at 6 miles already.  I hate not running even miles.  It is a numbers problem that I have.  I suggested going to mile 7, but she didn't like the idea.  She mentioned 10k (6.2 miles) and at first I didn't like that idea.  Then, I realized that my weekly miles were a mess this week anyway with the 13.2 miles run at the half marathon.  We ran until we hit 6.2 miles and walked a bit more through the parking lot.

It was another great run that just flew by with Emily.  After that, we went to lunch at the Muscle Maker Grill.  I have never eaten there before and I'm trying to eat healthy, so that was a good trip.  It was a little pricey, but the Mexican style meal that I had was good.

Tomorrow, might be a little more snow.  It won't be much, but I'm taking off anyway.  I'm in my taper period, so I need to take it easy.  I'm thinking that I will run twice more this week and probably get a little over 40 miles in.  That would be a solid week.

6.2 miles - 50:56 (8:13 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment