Monday, February 3, 2014

Post Snow Night Run and Short Snowshoe Run

I wanted to run long today after the race yesterday.  However, the weather threw those plans away.  Originally, they were calling for a few inches of snow.  We got 8 inches though.  This winter just never ends and two more storms are coming this week.

I do love snow and I'm glad I can do some snowshoe running.  The problem is that it is so much harder than regular running, so I can't get many miles in.  I thought maybe I would do 2 snowshoe runs today of about 4 miles each.  That seemed reasonable.

During the snow, I went to the elementary school next to my house for the snowshoe run.  I quickly found out that this would be quite the challenge.  We don't usually get deep snow, so I don't have any deep snow cleats.  Needless to say, that made the run even more difficult.

It is already tough enough with just a couple inches on the ground.  This was close to impossible and I was attempting to run easy too.  The scenery was nice, with the trees blanketed with snow.  I ran under a few of them and took some photos with my GoPro.

I did a long loop around the perimeter.  A third of a mile into the run, I was already dead.  It was a struggle in the deep snow.  I battled through it though, just trying to get around the loop.  There was a guy plowing the parking lot and he must've thought I was crazy. 

When I was finally done with the first loop, it was 1.25 miles.  My legs were toast and I was already breathing heavy.  This was after an 11 minute mile too.  It's amazing how taxing snowshoe running is.  I should probably start adding recovery walk breaks, so that I can handle it.

After that first loop, it was clear I wasn't doing 4 miles.  In fact, I was lucky to even be going at that point.  I continued on and did a shorter loop.  I was slightly under 2 miles at that point.  I ran a short out and back and called it a day at 2 miles.  That was one of the toughest runs that I've ever done.  It was basically like running up the most difficult hill you've ever been on for 22 minutes.  That's how long this short run took me.  I was overdressed and soaked by the end of the run too.

The weather was actually kind of nice, outside of the snow.  There was no wind and the temperatures were in the 30s for a change.  Even when I went out at night, it was in the upper 20s.  I wore a fleece vest, pants, gloves and a headband, but took the headband off early on in that one.

That second run was about an hour after dinner.  The plow had just come through and cleared the roads of my neighborhood.  Since I needed a good run and snowshoe running was too hard, I elected to run the neighborhoods after dark.  I finally got my reflective vest to wear, so that was a big help, especially with what I encountered.

I began with a loop around my neighborhood.  The roads had some slushy snow, but actually were cleared pretty well.  There was plenty of bare pavement.  Somehow a lady didn't see me when she was walking her dog and the dog crossed the road and came right over to me.  I stopped to pet it before being on my way.  Maybe she wasn't paying attention or maybe she couldn't see my headlamp.  It is going dim and I'm out of batteries.

If I had to, I would've tried to run loop around the school parking lot.  I was hoping the other neighborhood would be clear though.  It was plowed, but not as good as our neighborhood.  Still, it would do.  The plan was at least 8 miles and hopefully even 10 miles.

I encountered my first issue early on.  A plow was at an intersection plowing the excess snow.  I had to make sure that he saw me, so I had to stop and wait until it was clear and then sprint in front of him.

I went along not worrying about my pace.  It was nice and easy.  I felt good except for the quads.  Even early on, they were sore.  Not painful, just sore.  That was an issue last year, so I have to be careful.

That plow passed me shortly after and I encountered him about a mile down the road.  Again, I got in the way.  This first mile in this neighborhood was clear, but right after slipping by the plow, I realized the next section had not been touched yet.  At least this part was short. 

I wandered by a lot of people who were shoveling and clearing snow.  The snow does make everything so bright at night.  It was nice and I was glad to not be clearing snow. 

Running up the hills without the greatest traction did get a little slippery.  The big hill in the far neighborhood was a bit of a challenge.  For whatever reason, this run seemed to go by so slowly.  When I was at mile 4, I couldn't believe that I still had another 4 miles or more to do.

Around mile 5, I came across a plow again.  This time, I was wondering what he was waiting for.  Then I realized that it wasn't me, but instead a young lady zooming by behind him.  I guess I wasn't the only crazy runner.

He turned around and came down the road and again I got in his way.  He must've been quite pissed by now.  I did a long loop next.  There was a plow just finishing up and I saw another one down the road.  He cleared the other side of the road and I ran right on that pavement.

I got to mile 6.5 and the quads were still quite sore.  They were starting to feel it.  By now, I figured I was only going to go to mile 8.  I didn't want to overdo it.

I cruised along and was eventually back at the school.  I only had half of a mile to go.  I opted to run a short loop around the school parking lot.  That was a nice and easy way to finish up.  The quads were quite dead.

I wish I could've done 2 more miles, but I won't push it.  Overall, it was 10 solid miles for the day.  That will do considering all of the snowfall.  I spend some time on the foam roller afterward and will need to add even more of that the rest of tonight and into tomorrow.

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow.  I'm sure I'll run in the afternoon.  I'd love to run 15 miles or more, but that will depend on how clear the paths are and how good the legs feel.  If I at least can get 10 miles in, I'll be somewhat satisfied.  I have to be cautious now.  I could fall off the cliff if I don't listen to my body and go the other way with my training.

Snowshoe Run 2 miles -  22:02 (11:01 pace)
Night Run 8 miles - 1:07:35 (8:27 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment