Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snowy 6

It has been a big week.  I came into today needing 6 miles for 70 miles for the week.  That's all the mileage I was planning to run.  I didn't get up early to run with the BCR.  It was snowing when they ran too.

I didn't have many options though.  I needed a morning run.  I was going to basketball games all day.  I got out there at 10 AM for the short run.  There was no point in running anywhere far away for this little distance.

The weather wasn't too bad.  It was a cloudy and a little chilly.  I wore a jacket, gloves and a headband.  There was a slight breeze.  Things did get a little worse toward the end when the snow began falling.

I started with my neighborhood loop.  It was nice and easy.  My quads didn't feel great, but the pace was easy.  It helped them recover. 

After my neighborhood, I ran around the school.  I then went into the other neighborhood on the opposite side of the school.  The path was plowed to that neighborhood, but it wasn't plowed on the way through.  I got stuck running over a snowbank at the end.  That got my socks wet.

There are two different dead end roads here.  They each are a half mile or more in length.  I ran them out and back.  I was happy to get through 3 miles and the halfway point. 

Instead of taking the same way back and running through the snowbank, I decided to go through the neighborhood across the road.  That would allow for more distance too.  The roads were kind of nice with a thin layer of snow on them.  I think that might've lessened the impact during the run.

When I got back to the school, I was around mile 5.  I looped around the school parking lot a few times and finished up with a partial loop around my neighborhood.  It was good to be done and have another 70 mile week in the books.

Prior to December, I had never run 70 miles in a week before and I had very few 60+ mile weeks either.  Now, I've put in 4 weeks of 70 miles or more over the last couple months.  That is great, but now it is time to rest and back off.  I need to start tapering for my marathon in a month.

I'm not quite backing off yet I guess.  I still might run 13 miles tomorrow.  Gary set up a group run through Nazareth.  It is early in the morning and I'm hoping to join everyone.  It should be fun if I can make it out.

6 miles - 50:02 (8:20 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment