Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feeling Fresh

It is taper week.  That means lots of rest before my half marathon on Sunday.  I didn't run at all yesterday.  Today, I thought about going semi long, but opted only for 4 miles.  I'm just planning on 25 total miles for the week.

The weather was finally awesome today.  It was 37 degrees when I started the run in the afternoon.  Normally, 40 degrees and under is what I consider shorts weather.  However, with how cold it has been, I knew 37 degrees would feel great.  I went with shorts and a lightweight long sleeve shirt.  That was a good choice, although I did get slightly chilled.

The warmer weather and fresh legs made me feel amazing.  I felt like I was shot out of a cannon at the start and I needed to hold myself back.  I hope I feel close to this good on Sunday.  I began with the loop around my neighborhood.  I ran it in reverse.  The first mile was an 8:11.

I ran a loop around the school parking lot.  I didn't have plans for where to go in the other neighborhood, but it had to be short.  I opted to basically run to the 1 mile point of the Blue Eagle 5k course and turn around.  I'd be over 3 miles when I returned to the school. 

I continued to cruise along and felt excellent.  I took it easy, but the pace was great.  With no effort, miles 2 and 3 were 7:46 and 7:44 respectively.  I ran by a bus stop and the parents must've thought I was crazy for wearing shorts.  Then again, I thought they were crazy to pick their kids up from the bus stop on such a nice day.

As I was heading back, I thought about making a turn and going a longer way.  Then, I saw two fire trucks and an ambulance down that road.  I didn't want to be nosy or get in the way, so I continued on.  They drove by a short time later, so I guess it wasn't too much of a problem.

I arrived back at the school with half a mile to go.  I looped around the parking lot again.  I then went into my neighborhood to finish up with a short out and back.  This easy mile was a 7:37.  I was thrilled with the short run.

I feel like I'm definitely ready for this half marathon.  Even with some chilly temperatures, I'm confident that I can crush my goals.  It should be fun and I think fairly competitive too. 

Tomorrow, it is supposed to be even warmer.  I'm planning on running longer.  It will still only be 8 miles though.  Then, I'll take Friday off and run a slow 5 mile course preview on Saturday.  I think my legs work better with an easy run the day before a race, rather than a complete rest day.  I guess I will find out.

4 miles - 31:17 (7:49 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment