Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Third Straight Big Day

A long term goal of mine is to run something like either AT through PA or maybe the Long Trail in Vermont.  Regardless, I want to do something where I average like 25-30 miles a day for 5-10 days.  It will take awhile to build up to that point, but I wanted to run three straight days of 10+ miles now to get a taste of how my body would handle something like that.  I've never run that much mileage consecutively before.

After 12 and 15 miles at night on the Nor-Bath Trail, it was time for a day run.  It was also time for more of a true trail.  I needed something technical to slow me down and break up the repetitiveness of normal running.

I decided to head to South Mountain (Bethlehem) and run the loop there.  I was there at night about a month ago, but but I haven't been there much lately.  It was a nice fall day, so I figured that the setting would be great.  I wanted to run 15 miles, but the plan was for at least 10 miles.  That would be 2+ loops.  If I went for a third loop, it would likely be in the dark.

I went with a long sleeve tech shirt.  The gear choice was difficult today.  It wasn't that cold, but it was very windy, especially on the mountain top.  I also figured if I was still running after dark, the long sleeves would be great.

I got a taste of the changing conditions early on.  On the top of the mountain, it was so windy and freezing.  When I got down onto the trail though, it was hot and I was sweating.  I just took it easy.

This loop is nice because it starts off downhill.  It isn't too long before you head uphill though.  I walked a lot of that early on just to be cautious.  My legs definitely felt like they put in some big miles during the last few days.

Early on, I saw a couple deer.  That would be the theme of this run.  I saw more deer than people.  In fact, I counted 22 deer in total.  Some of those were probably repeats, since I ran the loop twice.

After walking up the big hill, it was nice to run again for awhile.  The middle portion of this loop is a lot downhill and plenty of fun.  You just have to get through the start.  It is rocky in the middle and the rocks were kind of hard to see with all the leaves that had fallen down.  I handled the rocks pretty well, although I stumbled a couple times.

Before I knew it, I was to this small bridge over some water.  A couple was hanging out there and had to move out of my way.  I then made it to the lookout and saw the City of Bethlehem.  That was an awesome view.

The pace was pretty good and I was having fun.  It is good to know this course because I now know which hills are long and need walking and which I can run up.  The last part of this run is mostly uphill, but it is a long, steady uphill.  I walked some and ran some. 

I walked a lot of the way up the steps and finished up the first loop at my car at just under 4.5 miles.  I was well under an hour (that's the time needed when Decker puts on his Loopy Run there).  I quickly refilled my drink and wiped my face with a towel.  I wanted to get going.

The second loop started off okay.  My legs were kind of fatigued, but that was to be expected at this point.  By now, I just decided that I would only do 10 miles.  The early climbs of this loop were tough, even while walking.

I saw a couple walking and later on a mountain biker.  I would see the couple again at a road crossing.  I just cruised along and tried to run pretty consistent.  The downhill was a big help again and I was feeling awesome.

Just as I was thinking how I was handling the rocks pretty well and feeling great, I bashed the side of my foot on a rock.  That hurt a lot, but I plugged along.

Again, the couple on the bridge had to move for me.  I'm not sure if it was the same couple.  I wanted some extra distance, so I ran out to the art garden with all weird art structures in the middle of a field.  My foot was really killing me through this section and then when I hit some stone trail and it was especially a probably on the pavement.  The foot was constantly rubbing my shoe.

When I got back on the trail and had instant relief.  This finish was more of the same as the first time around.  I saw a bunch of deer, but not much else happened.  At the road on the top, there were a four small deer with their mom.

I was at about 8.8 miles when I came out of the woods.  I wanted to get to 10 miles, so I just looped around the paved roads at the top of campus.  That dropped my pace like crazy and I was done before I knew it.

I actually felt worse at mile 5 than I did at mile 10.  I'm sure I could've pushed on and got to mile 15 without too much trouble.  However, I've put myself through enough the last three days and don't want to overdo it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the district cross country meet.  I won't run at all, but I'll probably ride to the meet and possibly ride another time too.  I haven't been on the bike yet this week.  On Thursday, I'm planning on a short run.  I want to run hard and see what kind of speed I have.

10 miles - 1:52:31 (11:15 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment