Sunday, October 20, 2013

Nor-Bath Night 12

It was a busy day.  I went to cheer on friends and take photos at the Runner's World Half Marathon in the morning.  I then immediately headed to the Eagles game.  By the time I got home and let my dinner settle, it was dark. 

I really needed to refresh myself mentally with a nice night run.  I had no real mileage plan (although I was hoping for double figures).  I just wanted to run until I felt good enough.  I love using night runs for this.

I started off on the east end as usual.  I was hoping I could run all the way to the end of the path into Northampton.  I started my watch, but had to stop early on because my headlamp was bouncing around too much.  I adjusted it and continued on.

I only went with shorts and short sleeves and I was actually freezing in the beginning.  I knew it would get better once I warmed up, but it was tough in the early going.  It was cold enough to see my breath.

Other than a little cold, the run was just so peaceful, calm and relaxing.  Exactly what I needed.  Every now and then a creature would stir in the bushes or I saw some eyes from time to time.  I think they were usually cats or rabbits.  Even at night, I still had to stop at the Airport Road crossing.

I just cruised along nice and easy.  The miles clicked away.  Before I knew it, I was past Bicentennial Park, then over Savage Road and then onto the paved section through the neighborhood.  After the neighborhood, the trail is kind of behind an industrial and overgrown area.  It can get a little uncomfortable there.  I thought I saw eyes far up ahead at one point, but if it was them they disappeared.

As I got to the end of the trail, I was just over 4.6 miles.  I wanted to get to mile 5 before turning around.  That meant running on the roads for a bit.  I went downhill to the Municipal Complex in Northampton.  I then turned around and was going uphill on the pavement.

I was happy to get back onto the trail and the stone.  That was better for my legs.  They were slightly sore at this point. 

When I got past Savage Road, there is another park area that you can turn off into.  I wanted to get to 12 miles now, so I headed on this pavement for a short out and back. 

I plugged along on the way back.  I was pretty consistent throughout the run.  I did have to stop to go to the bathroom, so that slowed up one mile. 

I had to stop at Airport Road again.  When I got to Jacksonville Road, I was at mile 10.75.  I decided on an out and back to the end of the trail.  This section is kind of isolated, so I'm not crazy about it.  It wasn't too bad though.

I finished up with a short out and back on the main path again.  I had a nice 12 miles in.  It was a very refreshing run and a good way to kick off the week.  I'm hoping for a productive week.

I want to do a long run tomorrow.  With the leaves changing, I would like to go up to the McDade Trail at the Delaware Water Gap.  I could get a 20+ mile run in there with no problems.

I'm starting to seriously consider a marathon again in the spring.  I won't run one unless I think I can run close to a BQ time.  I have to start getting some hard runs in soon to see where I'm at.  I need to start running hard at least once a week.

12 miles - 1:44:52 (8:44 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment