Monday, October 14, 2013

Perfect Run

I don't quite know what it was, but today's run was amazing.  After over 8 miles at Trexler last night, I wanted a long run today.  I was shooting for 25 miles.  The problem is that I've done this plenty of times before and usually came up well short, only doing 15 miles or so.  Today, everything just clicked.  It was almost magical.

I went to Jacobsburg for the run.  I wanted to run at the Delaware Water Gap, but it is closed due to the government shutdown.  What actually made the run most amazing was the poor start.  I wanted to be fairly conservative.  After yesterday's run, I wasn't feeling too strong.  I felt kind of tired and sluggish before the run.  I also ate lunch too close to the start.

I headed out and started doing the loop to the open field area.  I figured that this section gets the most sun, so I'd get through it early before it got too hot.  Still, it was quite hot.  Not summer time hot, but October hot for sure.  I headed out with a shirt and that proved to be too much.

I walked the big hill and wasn't feeling bad, but not great either.  I just plodded along.  The sun was bothering me and my shirt was already getting soaked.  Somewhere around 3.5 miles, I was really losing it.  I started getting kind of lightheaded.  Maybe my lunch or electrolyte water just had not kicked in yet.  Whatever the case, I felt awful.

Instead of getting discouraged, as I usually do, I decided to just battle through it and see what happens.  If it was truly going to be an awful run, then I'd just cut it short.  I was hoping maybe it was just a bad patch.

Then, the amazing thing happened.  I don't know if it was just the downhill or what, but my energy started to come around and I felt amazing.  I thought up a phrase, "90% of our limitations are mental."  I said that to myself and it seemed to ring true.

I took the long way around loop back to the parking lot.  I was now having fun.  Going through the ridge section with roots was a blast.  I got back to the car to refuel at just past 5 miles.  My recovery had been amazing.

After a short break, I continued on.  This time, I headed across the street from the main lot and started the big loop.  I dropped my shirt off in the car and being cooler was a big help.  I walked some of the steeper hills, but for the most part, I ran.  Before I knew it, I was at the Sober's Run Loop.

I walked up the powerline section to be cautious.  The pace wasn't fast, but it certainly wasn't slow either.  I really enjoyed the downhills.  They were reenergizing me all day long.

Instead of heading back, I ran the singletrack along the creek.  This is a fun section.  It is easy and not too technical.  I came out and was going to run on the main path.  Then I saw a couple hunters and decided to just turn around.

I was only at 10 miles by now, but yet I knew I'd get the 25 miles in, unless I collapsed big time.  Thinking about how I managed to get through the 50K while being miserable was a huge help.  I just kept trying to stay positive and enjoy the run.  Having the beautiful fall scenery of Jacobsburg as well as the cool weather was a huge help.

I decided again that I didn't want to head back to the car yet.  The more miles I could put in during this second loop, while still feeling good, the better.  There is a fun loop around Sober's Run, so I did that.  It added about two more miles.

I saw some horses in this section, but they didn't get in the way.  There were a lot of people out hiking today.  There was some great energy there too.

I then headed back toward the main lot.  I continued to walk the steep hills.  I took the longer, fun route back again to add distance.  As I hit mile 15, I still felt amazing.  I couldn't believe it.  Usually, I falter by this time.  With each passing mile, I was more confident that I would make it to 25.

When I arrived back at the car, it was almost exactly mile 16.  I ate a little bit of a Clif Bar, but actually didn't take on much nutrition at all today.  Getting water was a must.  That second loop had been nearly 11 miles long.  I had been low on water for some time.  I filled up and threw in a tablet.

Now, I was back at it.  This time, I was doing the long loop again, but heading out the main path rather than heading across the road.  The restarts can often be trouble, but today they weren't too bad.

I continued to be smart and walk some of the decent size hills.  Prior to the stop, my pace was under 11 minutes.  I didn't stop my watch during any of the stops, so the pace now shot up.  I think my running was still consistent.  It was just the stops and walking up hills that threw everything off.

I went through miles 17, 18 and 19 feeling awesome.  Hitting mile 20 and still feeling good was amazing.  After walking up the powerline hill, I knew the downhill would feel great.  It sure did.

I again continued back over toward the parking lot.  There is a steep uphill by the new building and I was still feeling so great that I could've probably ran up it.  Instead, I just continued to walk.  I was never sure if I would just crash suddenly.

The ridge section was fun.  I was a bit more cautious this time, since it was long into the run.  I was now well over the 4 hour mark.  I never ran that long in training before.  The recent 50K was my lone exception.

I got to the water fountain by the parking lot after 23 miles and refilled my water.  I was so close to done that I didn't want to stop at the car.  I had actually thought about running over marathon distance since I felt so good.

I went across the road and ran the long, slight uphill.  The hill did slow me a little.  By now, I was starting to get fatigued.  I knew I'd have a nice downhill finish.  It flattened out for a bit and when I got to mile 24.15, I hit a hill.  I turned around and headed back.

Going downhill was much better.  If I knew of a good downhill or flat section near the start, I might've continued on and run another mile.  I just couldn't take any hills.

I got back to the parking lot and still needed some distance.  I ran a short out and back along the main path.  That was nice and flat and easy.  I turned around at 24.80 and then finished up at mile 25 right at the water fountain.

I was starting to slip by the end, but I still could've ran/walked several more miles.  Maybe I could've even got to 50K distance.  That would've been tough alone though.

I wish I knew why this run went so well.  Maybe my training is really starting to pay off.  It is actually kind of frustrating that this run was so awesome and the 50K race was so terrible.  Obviously the hills did me in in the 50K, but that was just a terrible day.  This was the complete opposite.

I've read a few books of ultra runners who have had this kind of "WOW" run.  Maybe this is a defining moment for me, maybe it isn't.  Who knows.  Regardless, I'll certainly take it.

I wanted to get this long run done since I'm going to cross country meets each of the next two afternoons.  I might bike in the morning and at night each day.  I probably won't run again until Thursday though.  It has been a good start to the week and I sure hope it continues.  

25 miles - 4:42:41 (11:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment