Monday, October 28, 2013

Just Another 15 and 15 Day

I thought about riding last night.  Instead, I took Sunday completely off.  That meant a big Monday as usual.  I wanted to run 15 miles.  Since I handled some rail trails (Nor-Bath anyway) pretty well last week, I decided to run at the Saucon Rail Trail.  It has now been extended a couple miles.

One of the reasons I decided on a rail trail is because I wanted the mileage, but didn't have the time for a slower trail run.  I figured this would be perfect.  I had a great week last week.  Today, there were at least some issues.

It was a beautiful fall day.  The temperature was in the mid 50s and the sun was out.  There was some wind, but nothing too bad.  I wore shorts and a short sleeve tech shirt.

I started at Upper Saucon Community Park.  If I began at Water Street, it would have required a long out and back or multiple out and back segments.  I didn't want to do that. 

I started heading south.  This is the new section that just opened.  I rode my bike on it, but had yet to run on it.  It began by going uphill.  It was steep initially and then gradual.  With the sun out, I was actually hot in the beginning.  It was tricky though because there was a breeze that bothered me some as I was running into it.

I ate an Atomic Burger from Sheetz about an hour and a half before the run.  I knew that wasn't the best idea.  I was definitely sluggish at the start.  I did feel better though as the run went on.

Going out was uneventful.  The trail ended at 2.2 or 2.3 miles.  I was hoping it might go a little farther.  I wanted at least 5 miles in this first segment, so I ran out on the road until 2.5 miles.  I then turned around and had to go uphill.

The first few miles had been slow, but now that I was heading back on the trail, I was cruising.  This must've been a gradual downhill.  After an 8:57 opening mile, mile 5 was run at 8:04.  I was back at my car, but didn't stop.

I headed out in the other direction.  I've run here many times before.  I wanted to make sure that I did a minimum of 3 miles out and 3 more back.  That way I would be at least at mile 11 when I arrived back at the car.

This part was nice because there was a lot of gradual downhill.  The trail was fairly busy and the scenery was solid.  I cruised around.  Most of my miles were now under 8 minute pace.

I was going out farther and farther.  This is the part of long runs where I usually get into a zone.  The first 5 miles and the last 5 miles of a run of this distance can be tough, but the middle is kind of sweet.

I just kept trying to go another half mile out.  Every time I did that, it meant an additional mile onto the total when I arrived back at the car.  I finally turned around at mile 9.  I had almost made it to Water Street.  Now, I would get back to my car after 13 miles.  I could tough out another 2 miles, I figured.

I turned around and it definitely got harder.  I was going slightly uphill and the wind was at my face.  I was still happy to be running consistent miles under 8 minute pace, especially since I was running with an easy effort.  My breathing was laboring from time to time because of the wind, but that was it.

Getting to mile 10 was huge.  I always love hitting double digits.  By now, I was doing okay, but not feeling as great as I hoped.  Some soreness was developing particularly with my back.  I guess I still struggle with crushed stone surfaces.  Normally, I feel great at mile 11, but I was starting to slip by now.

All of the gradual uphill didn't help.  I continued to just focus on the task at hand and the next mile.  Getting to 12 miles was huge.  Before I knew it, I had fought hard and struggled back to the car.

I didn't want to stop now either.  I still had water left.  Not stopping did make it difficult.  I usually take a break on long trail runs.  By now, my legs were slowly getting beat up.

I headed out ion the new section.  I knew mile 14 would be uphill and thus the toughest.  If I could just get past that, I could turn around and cruise downhill.  I grinded out mile 14.  Mile 13 was 8:22 and this mile was 8:28.  I was slipping, but not too bad.

The last mile was awesome thanks to the downhill. I was able to use it and really push myself.  After failing apart earlier, I bounced back to end the run with a 7:36 mile.  That dropped my overall pace below 8:10. 

It was definitely a solid 15 miles.  I've felt far worse after 15 mile runs and also far better.  My legs and back were sore.  It wasn't too bad, but I thought that I'm better adapted to 15 mile runs at this point.  I guess it was all about the surface that I was running on and the repetitive nature of the run. 

I'm not in too bad of shape.  I rode my bike for 15 more miles in the darkness and that helped a lot with recovery.  I should feel fine tomorrow.  I'll probably ride in the afternoon and then at night, I want to run a 5K in Reading.  I really want to see where I'm at from a speed standpoint.  I don't expect to break 20 minutes quite yet, but I'm think I should break 21 anyway.  I'm looking forward to racing again and I love doing so at night.  I think it is a flat course.

15 miles - 2:02:09 (8:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment