Saturday, October 26, 2013

Run and Long Ride to Finish the Week

Today was the last day of the week.  I would've liked to run with the BCR to get to 50 miles for the week.  However, it was right at the freezing mark when they started.  I wasn't too crazy about that.  I ended up going to there to drop a CD of photos off.

Instead, I ran with Emily later in the morning.  She was doing her last 20 miler before the Philadelphia Marathon in a couple weeks.  She actually started the same time as the BCR people, but I was only running the last 7 miles with her, so I didn't start until about 2 hours later.

I wasn't sure what to wear.  It was definitely warmer by 9:45 AM.  I went with a lightweight long sleeve shirt and shorts.  I actually would've liked to have worn a short sleeve shirt, but I didn't have one with me.

I parked in downtown Easton on Larry Holmes Drive.  Emily was doing a big loop around Easton, from her house.  I was going to run last 7 miles and then she'd drive me back to my car.

It was a little chilly along the river at the start, but I warmed up quick.  Of course the pace would be nice and easy for me on this short run.  That was good since my last run was hard.

I run so often alone and I feel like that does make me mentally tough.  However, it is awesome to have company every now and then.  It is simply amazing how quickly the time goes by.

We ran through Easton and then onto the Karl Steiner Arts Trail.  This is a nice paved segment with some uphill to it.  I had to make sure not to push the pace too much.  Emily was breathing a little bit since she'd run so far already.  I had it easy.

We talked training and a lot of other stuff.  This is her first marathon coming up and we talked about just staying pretty consistent afterward and issues like that.  I'm probably going to help her out with her training after the race.

I took her through a section behind some apartments.  This is a singletrack flat dirt path.  It is unmaintained.  I was surprised to come across several other runners here.  I didn't think anyone actually ran on this part.

We were then onto the Palmer Bike Path near Crayola.  This section is nice and flat and paved.  I was wearing my regular shoes.  I'm long overdo for a new pair.  I had no problems today though.  I was glad that there was no soreness.  After the fast run the other day, my left kneecap area was tweaked a bit, but it felt fine today.

We ran out to Mill Race Park.  That is a slight uphill, so it can be a little tough for someone doing a long run.  There was some nice fall scenery.

After the uphill, we turned around for about a mile.  That made for a nice downhill.  I ran a little harder and Emily pushed herself to stay with me.  When we got to where she was going to end, I decided to push it pretty hard for a short out and back.

This last segment was .4 miles.  I ran really hard.  It was kind of tough to do after all the slow early miles.  I dropped the pace of this mile to 7:34, so this short fast segment must've been well under 7 minute pace.

It was good to finish up a 50 mile week with an easy run.  It was also good to help Emily out and have some company.  Another fine week in the books.

I went to the D&L and biked 40 miles after the run.  That is pretty flat, so I guess I'll have to make that my new long ride place.  It was nice at the beginning, but pretty cold by the end of the ride.  I ended the week with 75 miles on the bike in addition to the 50 miles of running.  All in all, a productive week.

Tomorrow, I'll be at the Eagles game.  I might ride for an hour or so after dark when I get home.  I'm thinking Monday will be a 15 mile trail run.  Tuesday, I might run a 5K to see where I'm really at from a speed standpoint and what I need to do going forward.

7 miles - 59:01 (8:26 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment