Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Seven Night Miles

I was at cross country meets both yesterday and today.  I could've squeezed a run in during the day, but I didn't feel like it.  I also didn't really feel like a nighttime ride or run.  Then I sat down to watch TV and that lasted half an hour.  TV these days is just so terrible.  I almost never watch it unless there's a game on.

Anyway, I decided to get out for a short run instead.  I had no plan.  I was thinking at least 3 miles and hopefully quite a few more.  I went to the Nor-Bath Trail.  That is my go to night run place.  It is a smooth rail trail that is close, remote and peaceful and also doesn't beat up my legs too much.

I started out just before 9 PM.  The big problem was that I forgot my headlamp.  I didn't realize this until the trailhead.  By then, it was too late.  Luckily, the moon is quite full and I didn't actually need any light.  I almost tripped on a twig, but that was about it.  The rest of the run was clear.

I started off cruising along.  The weather was perfect and continued to remind me why I LOVE this time of year so much.  Crossing the roads isn't too bad this time of night.  Without a headlamp, I didn't look at my watch too much.

I just had time to relax and think, with only the occasional distraction.  At Bicentennial Park, I heard tires squealing.  I guess it was probably some local teenagers.

I felt good and really had no idea of the pace.  I also didn't care.  I was just running comfortably.  Night runs are so awesome.  They make me feel so free.

I thought I heard my watch beep earlier, but it didn't, so it took some time to get to mile 2.  I do like that this trail is remote, but also near some houses.  That gives me a little comfort too.

I got almost to Savage Road and turned around right at 3.5 miles.  I was surprised to see my pace wasn't faster, but pace didn't matter.  It slowed some more when I needed a quick bathroom break.

I heard what was either a dog barking up ahead at one point or an animal.  I wasn't too keen on it being the second option, so I ran harder.  Thankfully, I didn't hear anything as I got closer to where the sound was.  It is always a little unsettling when you hear something move in the bushes and you can't see it.  That happened a few times today.

I hit miles 4 and 5 and was getting kind of bored.  At one point near Bicentennial Park, I looked at my watch and saw mile 5.6.  I decided to push really hard for .4 miles.  The fun part was that I wouldn't look at my watch.  I would just push and push until I heard the beep.  It took some time, but I was done.  I thought that mile would end up being faster than 7:44, but obviously the first half of it was slow.

I had really pushed during that stretch and sort of felt like I might puke during the last mile.  Drinking a soda and eating popcorn before the run didn't help much.  I've cut back on that stuff at least.

I just cruised on in the final mile and finished up.  It was great to be done and even run hard for a short stretch.  Getting out the door was difficult, but sometimes you just have to do it.  I know once I get going, I'll keep going for at least an hour.

Tomorrow, I'm just going to do what I feel.  I already have 40 miles of running in the books this week.  I'd like to get to 50 at least.  I've only been on the bike for 15 miles.  I'm not sure that I'll get in 100 miles riding this week.  Quite frankly, I'm getting bored of doing the same loop on the bike.  That's because I ride at night and don't have many other options.

7 miles - 1:01:51 (8:50 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment