Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Some Company for a Change

Since I run in the afternoon and most normal people work, it is rare that I run with anyone.  I've been getting tired of running alone.  I've also been running alone so much lately because almost all of my runs have been on trails.

My friend Kelley lives right near the Nor-Bath Trail.  I was there a week or two ago and the surface seems softer than most rail trails, so I figure I can run there a little.  I've been trying to meet up with her for a run for a couple weeks now.  This morning, we finally got together.

I just hate getting up in the morning for runs.  I'm not someone to break commitments though, so I was there at 7:30 to get started.  It actually wasn't too bad because I got to bed at a reasonable time and I was sort of up for about an hour before I actually had to get up.  I had a dream that I overslept, so I guess that got me up earlier.

Normally, I run with the BCR from the east end of the trail, but Kelley was bringing her baby with the jogging stroller and wanted to start from her house, so she didn't have to bring the car.  I met her at the Savage Road lot.

It was good to catch up with her.  We used to run a lot last year, before she had the baby.  I've only seen her once with the BCR since and I didn't run with her then.  We chatted a lot and time flew by.  Before I realized it, we were already midway through the Bicentennial Park section.

We had to be cautious at road crossings, so I suggested we head to Airport Road and turn around before crossing it.  We ended up being the people that annoy me when they take up the whole trail.  There were only two of us though and  at least we were alert enough to get out of the way and listen for the calls of bikers.  There were a few, but the good thing is that most of this trail is empty.

The pace was nice and easy, over 9 minutes.  That was good because with my 50K coming up, I wasn't looking to run hard or far this week.  The planned 7 miles today would be my longest run and maybe my only one of the week.

We turned around at Airport Road, a little after 3 miles.  I guess it is a comfortable ride because the baby slept most of the time.  On the way back, I got a phone call from work.  I stopped to answer it and let Kelley go ahead.  They were telling me that I needed to come in earlier.  I was prepared to go straight there after the run, but I forgot my shoes, so I had to go back home.

Time just flew by.  It felt like we were hardly even running.  That's what I love so much about running with someone.  I wish I could do it more often.  I do have to make an effort to run or bike more before work.  I have a decent little window to do so.  I'd like to up my mileage in the fall to 50 miles of running and 125 miles of biking.  That will definitely require at least a couple days a week of early morning workouts.

We got to 6 miles a little before the parking lot.  We turned around and did a short out and back for the 7th mile (rather than cross the road).  It was a great weather all run, even a bit chilly at the start.  It was a fun run and good to be done. 

Tonight, I might bike another easy 10 miles.  Tomorrow, who knows but it will probably be a rest from running.  I might ride again.  Either way, it is definitely a relaxing week.  Only a couple days until the 50K.

7 miles - 1:05:57 (9:25 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment