Friday, August 30, 2013

Running on Fumes

Today was a pretty busy day, as a long week is winding down.  I had to run 8 miles and also bike after that.  I got out around 12:30 PM.  It was a little later than I hoped, but earlier than I usually run.  Since it was a short run by my standards, I headed to Jacobsburg.

I parked near the Sober's Run Loop and planned to just run that area.  I thought about doing a couple short 2 miles loops.  I wasn't really sure what to do though, so I just ran and decided on the fly.

It was hot and humid as usual.  I went shirtless as I always do.  Since I wasn't going too far, I decided to wear some shorts than don't work well in hot weather.  I figured that they could hold up for a few miles.  I was wrong.  That was a huge mistake and they were absolutely soaked in just a few miles. 

I started off on the flat section.  I then dropped down to the section along the creek.  When I came out at the end of this section, I decided to run another creek section.  I only went a short distance when I came across a woman on a mountain bike.  She was obviously couldn't ride well and didn't belong on this singletrack.  She couldn't even ride faster than I was running.  It was frustrating, so I turned around and ran back on the main trail.

I went a short distance and on to another singletrack section.  I ran this for a little while, but then it went uphill.  My legs were very tired from the beginning of this run.  They haven't felt bad in some time, but I guess this should be expected after back to back days of 15 and 17 miles with only one day of rest after that.  I turned around after some of the uphill.

I then took the long way back to my car.  First, it was the main stone path.  Then I was onto the singletrack.  I just concentrated on clicking off the miles. 

By the time I was back at the car, I was over 3 miles.  I still had a bit to go.  I decided to do the Sober's Run Loop.  That would put me over 6 miles and I could do a short out and back.

I walked uphill at the powerline section.  I could've run it, but I needed a break and relief from the heat.  I knew after the uphill I could cruise downhill. 

At one section, I I turned right toward a road.  This is a section that I usually don't run.  Going out and back on this rolling section added about a half mile or more.  I looked for more trail sections near the road, but never did find any.

I then ran back to through the rest of the loop.  I passed a guy with a couple dogs.  I did another short out and back to another road.  That added a little too.

I then enjoyed the singletrack on the way back.  I came to a couple people on mountain bikes going downhill.  I'm glad I heard their brakes or I might've run into them.  I was back at the lot at over 6.5 miles.

I just ran the out and back on the flat main trail.  That got me to 8 miles for the day and 40 miles for the week.  I was beat and soaked and glad to be heading home.  As I was walking back, I saw a snake on the main trail.  It was small.  I think it was a garner snake.

I was quite tired, but I still had to ride.  The ride was quite humid.  Plus, I carried a heavy camera bag on my back.  I rode to Moravian Academy and was going to watch a cross country meet.  It was just too crowded though, so I rode home.  I ended up with 20 miles, but my legs were gone by the end of it.

Tomorrow, I won't be running.  I still have 20 miles to ride.  If I can get up, I might bike with the BCR.  I would have to get there early to get those miles in and still finish in time for breakfast. 

8 miles - 1:16:41 (9:35 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment