Saturday, August 17, 2013

It's Been Awhile

I haven't run with the BCR in a long time.  Part of that is because I have trouble getting up early to run, but another part of it is that I've run on nothing but nature trails for about 2 months.  I only needed a short 3 miles and they were running at the nearby Nor-Bath Trail, so I ran with the group.

It was nice and chilly early on.  I ran with a shirt for the first half of the run.  Sometime in the second half of the run I got kind of hot and took my shirt off.  It still wasn't bad though.

I talked with Mertz briefly in the beginning of the run, but I told him to go ahead.  I was planning on running nice and slow.  Angie blew by me at one point.  The first mile was around a 9 minute pace.

I was ahead of most of the group, but I ran with Jennifer and her dog and a guy Stephen.  The dog was having a blast running with us/ahead of us.  Stephen actually lives pretty close to me.  We discussed training and a lot of other stuff.

Time flew by in the first half of the run.  I was enjoying having some company, so I decided to keep going when I was at 1.5 miles, rather than turning around.  I went out to mile 2 before doing so.

The second half of the run reminded me of how much I hate flat, boring rail trails.  It was only 2 miles, but I still got sick of it.  Early on in this segment, it was nice to pass the others in the group that were going out.  There was a big pack together and when I passed them I commented how they were running in unison and looked like an army unit.

My friend Kelley was running with a jogging stroller behind those people.  I ran with her a lot last summer, but she has a three month old and is working her way back into shape.  It was good seeing her.

Frank was heading back and I passed him at one point.  Other than that brief moment, I was running alone.  My legs were a little tired from the long bike ride on Friday, but they survived.  Running so much on trails has made a huge difference.

The final 3 miles were in the low to mid 8 minute range.  I definitely lost some speed, but actually it's not too bad.  I had lost quite a bit of speed when my legs were beat up in the spring.  I do wonder how they'll handle a long and repetitive run like the VIA Marathon in a couple weeks.

It was good to be done with the run.  I do wish I could get up earlier more often because it is nice to get the workout out of the way early.  I had all afternoon to bike.

I had to ride 29 miles in the afternoon.  That was a bit of a challenge for my dead legs.  It was hot by that point too.  I managed to get through it though.  I finished the week with 41 miles of running and 100 miles of biking.

Tomorrow, I'd like to try to get in a long run.  That may depend on how my legs feel.  I'm not sure where I'll run at if I do.  I'd like to go to Trexler, but it could be too hot for that.  I'm also not sure if I can do 2 loops there.  That's how much I'd want to do.  I may end up at South Mountain on Lehigh's campus.

4 miles - 34:42 (8:41 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment