Friday, August 2, 2013

15 and 15

I took off from running and biking yesterday, since it rained a lot.  I had done one or the other or both for about 10 straight days, so that meant I could use a break anyway.  Today, it was time to get back at it and in a big way.

The plan was a 15 mile trail run and then follow that up with 15 miles on the bike.  I would've liked to have biked in the morning, but I didn't sleep much last night and I needed some rest.

I headed out to Jacobsburg for the run in the afternoon.  I'm kind of getting tired of running there, but it is close and I didn't have a lot of time.  It is also an easy route to run.

For summertime, the weather wasn't bad.  That said, it was still humid and being out there for hours, I knew I'd sweat a lot.  I went shirtless as usual.  That was a big help, but of course I was still soaked by the end of the run.

I ran my regular 6 mile loop from the main lot first.  I started along the crowded creek section.  I haven't run since Tuesday, so I felt quite fresh.  I cruised along.  It was pretty uneventful.  I then saw a half eaten raccoon on the trail.  That was rather interesting.

I went along and got faster as I ran on.  When I got through some of the narrow sections, I noticed that it was very muddy.  Some of these sections usually aren't too bad.  It rained a lot on Thursday, so I knew the rest of the route would be a mess.

Sure enough, the normally muddy section was very muddy.  Typically, I can run around it.  Instead, I didn't even try to this time.  It was just too muddy.  Luckily, someone put some sticks on one section.  My feet got covered in mud regardless.

I walked some of the uphill in this section, but for the most part, I just ran.  My pace was much faster than a few weeks ago when it was very hot.  I crossed all the roads and was to the Sober's run loop.

I guess they cut some of the brush in this area.  It wasn't a problem today.  When I got to the small parking lot, I saw some equipment spreading stone on the trail.  I ran through there.  It was nice that they were doing maintenance, but the stone is too soft right now.  I was glad that I wouldn't be on this section for very long.  I got to the powerline uphill and walked up most of it.

My left upper quad area has been having some minor discomfort.  It really started to bother me around mile 4 or 5.  Luckily, it didn't get worse.  It actually improved as the run went on.

After getting to the top of the hill, there was a lot of downhill.  The pace dropped as I cruised downhill.  When I came out to the road, I saw a woman running on the road.  I ended up following her.  She turned on the trail that I was headed.  I guess she had headphones in, so she was shocked when I yelled, "coming on your left."  I said, "I tried not to scare you too much."  She responded, "It's too late for that."

I wanted to walk up the big hill near the new building and I did that for a short while.  However, the woman was coming up from behind and I didn't want to be leapfrogging with her.  When she got close, I just ran again.

When I got to the spot where I usually head back to the parking lot, I decided to run the other direction.  This section is along a ridge and can be a bit tricky, so I don't run there much.  Last time I did so, it was last fall after the hurricane.  Trees were down everywhere.  Now, it was clear. 

I had fun on this section.  I had enoyed leaping over roots.  At one point, I had to pass a family that was hiking.  There was someone walking a dog too.

I got back to my car at 7.75 miles.  It was good to be over halfway done.  The longer loop at the end added some distance.  I took a much needed break to towel off, drink some water and also eat a Clif Bar.

After about 15 minutes, I headed back out.  This time, I was going to run the shorter loop through the open field.  I knew the beginning was uphill and that would be difficult.  The second half of the loop would be downhill though.

I walked a lot of big hill in the beginning.  I was thrilled that it was now cloudy in this open field.  My pace was under 10:30 for most of this run.  I was just trying to focus on each upcoming mile at this point.

When I got to the split for a second time, I took the fun, longer way again.  When I got down to the main path, I suddenly had to use the bathroom.  I ended up using one of the inground ones that smells awful.  My pants were soaked from running and putting them back on was no fun.  When I restarted, I started to chafe.  I was past 12 miles into the run at this point and close to the car.

I got to the car back at 13 miles.  I rested briefly again and grabbed more water.  I crossed the street and wanted to run a mile out and back.  I really sputtered along.  I struggled with the chafing issue.

Someone I slowly made it back.  I felt pretty good in the final 2/3 of a mile, so I pushed the pace.  It had been over 10:30 before that point.  It dropped under 10:30 when I finished up.  I was exhausted.

After a couple hours of a break and some dinner, I went back out to bike.  I rode a nice and easy 15 miles.  The end was a little tough because I was exhausted after nearly 4 hours of working out.

Tomorrow should be another tough day.  In the morning, I'm volunteering at the Blue Eagle 5K.  I normally like to run it, but I'm so slow right now so I didn't bother to sign up.  After that, I'm planning on another 15 mile trail run.  I'm not sure where that will be at yet.  I'm thinking that I might want to go to Blue Marsh Lake.  There is a 50K than I want to run there in October and I'd like to see some of the course.  I also want to bike 20 more miles.  If I can do all of that, it will be the conclusion of a big week.  I will have put in over 40 miles of running and 100 miles of biking.  That will easily be my biggest week ever.  Hopefully everything goes well.

15 miles - 2:37:05 (10:28 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment