Monday, August 19, 2013

Sometimes You Just Have to Get Started

I figured that my body needed a day off after I was pushing it so hard last week (especially at the end of the week).  I made yesterday a rest day.  I forgot I had a doctor's appointment today though.  It broke up my afternoon.  I didn't have time to run before it.  I wanted to bike then, but was just too tired and took a nap instead.

Even when I got back from the doctor, it took me some time to get going.  I still felt tired, so I made some coffee.  That did help and gave me a big boost.  I still wasn't feeling the long run though.

It isn't that I hate long runs; it is just that they are so time consuming.  I also don't have too many places to run, since I'm sticking to trails.  I'm actually taking a road trip tomorrow and have another long run to do.  I'm pumped for that one because it is a new setting.  For today's run, that wasn't the case at all.  It was hard getting out the door.

I drug myself out anyway and headed to Jacobsburg.  Even before I got started, I was thinking maybe I'll just run 7 miles and try to do back to back long runs on Tuesday and Wednesday instead.  I got started anyway.  As I learned, sometimes that is all you have to do.

I actually didn't begin the run until almost 6:30.  That meant that I would be doing some running in the dark if I lasted 15 miles.  Originally, I wanted to run 20 miles, but I knew I wouldn't run more than a couple miles after dark.  Thus, the new goal was just 15 miles. 

I started with my normal 6 mile loop.  The only difference was that I parked in a lot across the street from the new building.  There are gates in the main parking lot and I didn't want them to close those after dark with my car in it.

It was another decent weather day.  The temperature and humidity were low by August's standards.  That said, by the end of this long run, I was drenched in sweat.  At least my shorts worked pretty well and I didn't have any chafing issues.  I'm always happy whenever that is the case.  I ran shirtless again and was glad I did.

I cruised along nice and easy early on.  The rest day definitely helped.  My legs felt strong and I felt good.  The slight uphills weren't bothering me.  I planned the normal long loop to the Sober's Run area, but I would also add a short loop there for about 8 miles or so.  That would be a good start before getting back to the car.

As I got through the rocky dirt section, I had a blast.  I glided over the rocks.  I wasn't pushing hard, but I sure wasn't going slow either.  I decided pretty early on that I would try to run most of the route.  None of the hills are too steep.  I usually just walk some of them so that I don't wear down.  I thought I would try to keep going today.  For my 50K, I plan to run almost all of the time and just stop and recover at aid stations.

I saw a lot of horse crap, but thankfully not any horses.  I can't remember the last time I actually saw any horses there.  For that, I'm glad.  Oddly, I didn't come across any mountain bikers either.

I was climbing the powerline trail and I came across some of the few people that were out there on this evening.  A guy was walking up the hill with his son.  Then, I realized that he was actually walking his son's mountain bike up the hill.  When they were at the top, the kid rode and guy began running.  I don't see too many people running here.  I wasn't too far behind them.

I have few runners to chase when I run in this area, and even less now that I run trails all of the time.  This provided a good chase.  The guy was moving at a decent clip, but I was slowly reeling him in.  It might've been too early to go after him, but I didn't care.  I passed both of them on a downhill.

Of course, my pace ended up picking up.  I just flew downhill to stay ahead of them.  I knew they would turn off on the main path.  I was going farther to run on the dirt singletrack.  That mile that I passed them in was super fast.  It was a 7:57.  I could've pushed even more too.

Once I lost them, I was able to relax a little bit more and enjoy the run.  I ran on the singletrack with my thoughts.  One of them was about next year's Quadzilla race.  I love the trail and the race, but it is just too fast on too challenging of a course.  I've been debating whether I wanted to run it or not.  I think what I'm going to do is run it as an ultra.  I'll do two loops before the race, early in the morning and then run the final loop during the race.  That would be fun and maybe I can get some other to join me. 

I came out of the dirt section fairly close to the guy and his son.  Their route was shorter, but I was only about 25 yards behind them.  If I would've pushed through that section, I would've ended up ahead.  By now, I was over the 6 mile mark.  The pace became more reasonable. 

I headed onto the flat, stone path for a while before going down to the trail along the creek.  It is amazing the difference between the stone paths and the dirt nature trails.  My quads feel it so much more on the compacted stone.  This park is a mix of both.  I actually wish there was even more dirt.

By now, I was thinking about how far I could get without stopping.  Since it wasn't too hot, I still had water left.  That is usually why I have to stop after a few miles, but I was good to keep going.  I figured that I would get to over 8 miles and if I went out along the top of the ridge near the main parking lot, I could get close to 10 miles.  That would be awesome.

I did exactly that.  After running on the road briefly, I was climbing the trail behind the new building.  That took some work, but I managed and I think the pace might have even dropped.  It was a steady 9:35 for some time.

I made it up the hills without walking.  I had not walked one step to this point.  I can't remember the last time I ran this long consecutively.  Usually, I at least stop for a drink and often I walk the hills.

I am usually cautious at the ridge.  I had to climb and that was a little challenging, but I knew that it was a short climb.  I flew along the ridge.  I leaped over roots, roots and more roots.  I ran around a family walking a dog.  This section can be a little tricky because one fall the wrong way and I could go flying down the steep hill.  I felt strong and went over the roots pretty quickly though.

I then finished up this loop and was out to the main parking lot.  I had to run around some grandparents with their grandchildren on the bridge near the main lot.  I ran out to my car and had to do a short out and back on the road to get to exactly 10 miles.

I felt good during the run, but I didn't realize how soaked and sweaty I was until I stopped.  I ate the remainder of my Clif Bar, got some water and wiped myself off with a towel.  I was then off again.

It was just starting to get dark by this point.  I figured that I could survive 5 more miles though.  I didn't want to dig through my bag for my headlamp.  I took off from the trail just across from the main lot.

The long, gradual uphill in this section was some trouble for my legs.  I was planning a couple miles out and back at this point.  When I got into the woods and the dirt singletrack, things got interesting.  The rocks and roots were kind of hard to see as it was darker in here than in the open field type areas.  I had to really be careful.

My biggest concern was the downhill section.  A lot of it is washed away.  Where there are roots, it had created natural steps.  These drop-offs were hard to see at times.  I made it through though.

Now, I wanted to just stick to the smooth, main paths the rest of the way.  It was definitely getting too dark.  I went out a short distance, but then just headed back.  I figured that this time, I would take the long loop back to the main lot.  That would give me a good amount more distance.

There is a full moon out tonight and it looked awesome when I ran through open sections.  A lot of the remainder of the run was through the woods though and it was getting darker and darker.  At one point, I smelled a skunk.  I was very cautious and didn't ever see him.  He must've been in the bushes somewhere.

I continued on through the darkness.  I really wasn't quite sure what mile I was on.  I didn't want to light up my watch too frequently because that wastes the battery.  I could here it beep after every mile though.  The next time I heard it, I couldn't believe I was only at mile 12.  There was still a long way to go.

I ran by the red barn and started to go to toward the Boulton Historic Site for some extra distance.  When I lit up my watch, the screen had switched.  I couldn't get the display to show the time and distance.  I figured that it was still probably running though.  Now, I just decided to head back.

I couldn't see much anymore.  Every now and then there was enough moonlight to provide some visibility.  The trail was smooth enough that I didn't need any light.  I was more concerned that I might run into a person in the dark.  I didn't want to startle anyone.

I was also concerned about getting back to the main lot.  I know some Nazareth High School wrestlers were busted for selling drugs there.  I assume that that took place after dark.  Not exactly the activity that I would want to run into.  There were a few cars in the lot when I arrived there, but not many.  I heard, but didn't really notice the people.

I ran briefly on the road to my car.  I got my watch working correctly again.  I then ran a bunch of very short out and backs next to my car.  I was very close to 14 miles and I just wanted to get to that point.  I eventually did.  I was a mile short of what I wanted to run, but I didn't want to pull a headlamp out for one mile, so I just called it a night.

I wasn't looking forward to this run, but once it was over, I was glad to have got it done.  I definitely have to make it a point to run one of these weekly long runs at a new place or with people.  That will be the case tomorrow, as I'm headed to the Pine Barrens in New Jersey.  There is a WMA right next to the dirt track that I'm going to watch a race at.  I really am looking forward to the run and exploring new trails.  I am dreading the fact that it will be hot again.  I'm hoping that that doesn't limit my mileage.  I also hope the trails aren't too sandy.  When I ran farther south, there was a lot of sand.  It was in the winter time when I did that though, so the ground was more solid.

I thought about biking in the dark tonight, but I figured that that would be kind of pointless.  Instead, I'll just get up early to ride some miles.  Wednesday will be my long ride for the week.  I'm looking at putting in another week of 40 miles of running and 100 miles of biking.  I'm now on track with plenty of time left.

14 miles - 2:17:42 (9:50 pace) 

No comments:

Post a Comment