Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Perfect Day for Another Long Run

I was very frustrated that I only ran 2 miles yesterday.  However, I knew today's weather would be awesome and it sure was.  It felt like a crisp, cool fall day.  I planned on a second long run of the week.  This time, I just decided to stay local and go to Jacobsburg.

I am getting kind of tired of running the same routes there over and over again, so I changed it up a little.  I usually run the outside of the Sober's Run loop.  When I was leading a group run in June, a guy asked me if I ever run the inner loop.  He said it was fun.  I typically haven't gone that way because it is uphill at the start, after I had just finished climbing the powerline hill.  I thought I'd give it a try this time.  Then I could add some extra mileage too.

First things first, I had to get to that section.  That meant running up the powerline hill.  I started in the parking lot near there this time.  It is amazing how much easier this hill is when it is at the beginning of the run and when it is a day with low humidity.  I can't remember if I walked any of it, or just slowly ran the whole thing, but regardless I definitely ran a lot of it.

I got to the new section and ran through there.  At first, it was open field, but it quickly changed to singletrack through the woods.  It was a fun section, especially because most of it was downhill.  With all the recent rain, it was quite muddy.  The trail was also cluttered with small branches, remnants of the storm.

There was a section where I could continue downhill or turn uphill.  At first, I went downhill, but quickly turned around.  I walked some of this hill.  I came out to the main trail shortly after that.  I then ran the opposite direction from what I normally do, so that I could add distance.  I ran a nice singletrack along the creek that I've run a couple times before.

I was back on the main trail shortly.  Rather than stay on this smooth surface, I decided that I would take the next singletrack back to the parking area.  It is a nice ridge section.

I had started out wearing a singlet, but I just decided to take it off early on.  I ran shirtless, just like I have been doing for months now.  That made things much cooler.  Plus, I had something to wipe my head with.

I cruised along the singletrack.  I was back to the car before 4 miles.  I only stopped briefly to drop off the shirt.  I wanted to run about 6 miles before taking a break.  I decided that I would take the main path and then venture off along the creek.  This is wide and has some stone, but it is definitely more of a nature trail.  The same can be said for the other side of the creek.  I ran that one too.  The trails connect with a water crossing at one point, but I opted for the bridge.  I didn't want to cross a creek early in the run.

I was a little under 6 miles when I arrived back at the car again.  I wanted to get 6 miles before stopping, so I ran a short out and back.  It was good to get a rest.  I ate a Clif Bar, toweled off and rehydrated.

The plan was to run another 6 miles, for 12 total.  That would be a solid day and put me at 30 miles for the week.  This time, I wanted to run the open field loop.  I don't usually run that too often because it can be quite hot.  To get there, I ran along the singletrack again.  Of course I came across some mountain bikers in a narrow section.  I ran into quite a few bikers today.  I was just glad that there weren't any horses.  I hate those things.

About a mile into this second loop, I was to the Homestead trail area.  I ran this for a bit, but walked the steep uphill by the new building.  I then continued to run.  Since these trails aren't that steep and the weather was good, I ran almost the entire time today.  That made it a little challenging.

I came to the place where I fell last week and wondered how that happened.  There was a tree there and I must've tripped over its roots, but they weren't that exposed.  This time, I had no such issues.

I then ran through the trail from the large parking lot.  It was crowded with people as usual.  This place is a good combination of busy sections of trail as well as remote sections.  When I want to be alone, I can do that or if I want to see some other human forms, I can do that as well.

I walked up the big hill by the Boulton Historic Site.  I did run quite a bit of the early section.  I looked at my watch at one point and saw 10:22.  At first, I thought that was the mileage, but then I realized that it was the pace.  I was only slightly over 9 miles at this point.

My legs were getting kind of tired.  The 15 miles that I ran two days ago was taking its toll.  The good thing was I knew most of the rest of the loop was downhill or flat.  There was a little more climbing though.  A mountain biker flew by me going downhill while I was running uphill.  I almost didn't see him.

I then cruised downhill.  I was happy when I got to mile 10.  I knew there were only 2 miles remaining.  I knew I could make it that far.  Going downhill was easy.  I cruised along as the pace dropped and dropped.  I was getting closer to 10 minute pace.

I got back to the Sober's Run loop.  I then took the ridge singletrack back again.  I ran into some more mountain bikers.  I got back to the car and was over 12 miles.  I knew I had to keep going.  I figured I would run until 13.1 miles.

I planned a short out and back.  However, when I got to the creek trail entrance, I ran back down there again.  At this point, I was closing in on 13 miles and I decided that I would run to 15 miles.  I ran by a cute, young girl running with her dog.  I don't think they were actually running since she was in jeans.

Running along the creek was enjoyable.  It was so refreshing.  The legs were starting to feel beat up.  I was slowing, but I had to battle on.  I know I need to change my mentally if I'm going to run ultras.  In a road race, I kind of quit when the legs and pace start falling off.  With a long ultra, I have to keep mentally strong because my legs will fall off.  I'll still have a lot of mileage to run in a race after that happens.

I thought about staying on the main trail and that would've been better as I was tired.  I wouldn't have to worry about tripping over rocks or roots.  It is amazing how noticeable the difference is.  On the road, you don't realize you aren't picking your feet up as much when you are tired.  On the trail, you end up stumbling fairly often and sometimes you even fall.  I tripped a couple times, but didn't fall.

I got back to the parking lot and was around 14.25 miles.  I needed a short out and back to finish.  I went out and passed a kid walking with his mom.  Toward the end of the run, he was running too.

As I came to the creek trail section, a woman popped out from there.  She was going slow.  I felt bad because I would pass her and then be walking shortly afterward.  When I did that, she said, "you can keep going" or something like that.  I felt bad telling her that I had already run 15 miles. 

It was good to be done.  It is amazing how enjoyable this run was.  The cooler weather made all the difference.  Running the same trails that I normally do suddenly gave me some renewed energy.  I even ran 9 miles in the final loops.  There wasn't much walking during that time either.

I got home after the run and was exhausted.  I started off the run later than I usually do and I ran into the evening.  I debated whether to bike or not, but I managed to get on it for an easy 10 miles.  I finally ate after all of that.

Today was quite a challenge, but a lot of fun too.  I would've liked to have run back to back long runs, but I'll take it.  Now, I only need 7 miles later in the week to get to 40 miles of running.  That will probably be on Friday or Saturday.  I will definitely bike some more tomorrow.  At some point this week, I'd like to go for a 40 mile bike ride.  That would be a new high.

15 miles - 2:33:04 (10:12 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment