Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Second Fall Ever

Today was just supposed to be about an easy 7 mile trail run.  I'm cutting back this week, so I wasn't going to do too much.  I thought about going to Salisbury, but then just decided to go to the usual location, Jacobsburg.  Of course one of the interesting things is that you never know what will happen on a trail.

I started off directly across the street from the main parking lot.  I was then going to run to the Sober's Run Loop.  This would be slightly shorter than my normal route.  I knew I would have to add a little mileage onto the end.

The beginning was tough with a slight uphill.  My body wasn't ready to go.  Still, I pushed on.  The uphill was over quickly.  The trail was still quite muddy in places.

The weather was relatively cool and the humidity was low.  It was a great afternoon to run.  I was running shirtless anyway though.  Because I was only running 7 miles, I wanted to run the entire time, rather than run/walk like I often do.  That meant the pace was quick.  I was under 10 minute pace for the first 2 miles and a lot of it was uphill.  There were a lot of horse droppings that I had to avoid in addition to the mud.

After crossing all the roads, I was on to the Sober's Run Loop.  The early part of the loop is largely downhill or flat.  The one path before the powerline just had new stone added to it.  Running on it was nice and soft.

I ran up the powerline trail, but that sure was a struggle.  It isn't super steep, but it is quite long.  Even when you enter the woods, it is still uphill for a bit.  I made it the whole way through though.

I then had a bunch of downhill.  I ran past a couple and was just cruising.  My pace dipped and dipped.  It was under 9:30.  Mile 4 ended up being so quick that it was an 8:35 mile.  That's pretty impressive on a trail.  My upper quad did start to get sore at this point.  The quads are feeling much better since I've started running exclusively on trails.  They aren't quite 100% though. 

I was done with the Sober's Run Loop and then back toward the main parking lot.  I continued to push a bit.  There were some fairly difficult sections in this portion and I had to battle.  I made it up them and my overall pace actually dropped.  It was under 9:20 overall for some time.  I wasn't running hard, but it was definitely a moderate effort.

I then started downhill.  I was over 5 miles and still had 2 miles to go.  I thought about running the longer loop through the narrow, hilly section.  I changed my mind and went the shortest route back to the parking lot.

This direction is downhill and quite steep, so I can really fly.  Just as I was cruising along when all of a sudden, I tripped and fell.  I guess I went over a rock.  It seemed like it happened in slow motion.  I actually stumbled first and almost recovered, but I fell right on my water bottle and other hand.  Since it was downhill, I also slid on my stomach and elbows.  Luckily, it was mainly just dirt.  I was also fortunate that I just fell straight down the trail.  There is a steep drop off if I would've gone over the side.  That could've been quite the fall.

I scraped my knee, elbow and chest a bit.  The worst problem was that bent my pinky.  It really bothered me the rest of the run.  It is better now, but still sore and I can't move it much.

Once I dusted myself off, I had to be tough and finish up the run.  When I got back to the car a short time after the fall, I was at 5.5 miles.  I ran out the way I started.  I got a half mile out before I was tired of going uphill.  I cruised back downhill.

I then ran a short out and back on the main trail to finish up.  I slowed down after the fall, but my overall pace still stayed under 9:30.  That was a pretty solid run and I was glad I could run all of it, except for the brief moments after my fall.

Today was only the second time that I've ever fallen.  I am usually pretty good with maintaining my balance.  The weird thing is that both falls have happened at Jacobsburg.  I've run on far steeper and more technical trails and run when I'm much more tired than today or during my first fall.  I guess maybe I was too relaxed.  At least this time I fell on a steep downhill.  Last time, it was on a flat section.

Tomorrow, will likely be an easy bike ride.  I'll run a couple other times later in the week.  My goal is about 25 miles of running and 50 miles biking this week.  A nice and easy remainder of the week.

7 miles - 1:05:49 (9:24 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment