Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Slacking Off

I don't follow training plans.  I don't understand why an experienced runner would follow someone else's plan.  I know what I need to run well and be successful and also what doesn't work.  If something changes and no longer works, then I'll adjust to it.  I used to write my own plans, but now I'm not even doing that.  I'm just running a lot and then running some more, biking a lot and then biking some more.

The only guidelines I've been following lately are to run 40 miles a week and bike another 100 miles.  I want to build a consistent endurance base.  I am still incorporating cut back weeks, but the problem is that there is no real plan for these either.  I don't even have any guidelines, other than to run a lot less.  This where I have some trouble.  This is a cut back/taper week (with a marathon coming up).  That means I'm not doing much.

However, with no guidelines, I am becoming even lazier.  I planned to take Sunday off, but get back to working out yesterday and today.  Yesterday, I worked a lot for my job, but was still lazy and didn't bother doing a thing for the second straight day (in terms of running/biking).  The same thing nearly happened again today, but I knew I had to run.  I had not run since Friday and done anything since Saturday.

Even though I got my workout done, it took awhile.  Originally, I was going to try to squeeze it in between work and a cross country meet.  I figured that at the very least, I could ride and then run after the meet.  Instead, I just took a nap all afternoon.

Finally, after the meet, with no dinner, I headed to Jacobsburg to run.  The plan was for 10 miles.  I figured that I would run the normal 6 mile loop from the main parking lot.  Maybe I could find a way to get to 7 miles and then I'd have less to run after the loop was complete.

Summer is unofficially over and it started to feel like it was gone.  I was still sweaty, but it was light years less humid and much cooler than it has been lately.  I ran without a shirt again, but this time I probably could've worn one.

I started out nice and easy.  I barely broke a sweat early on.  The combination of lower humidity as well as rest for my legs made me feel awesome.  I was flying up the short hills like they were nothing.

Other than some people on the first main path, the first few miles were miles of solitude.  That gave me plenty of time to think.  My friend Flo shared her background on her blog and I had no idea what she had overcome from her childhood to be the strong woman that she is today.  It is truly an inspiration and I thought about her often during this run.

Yesterday, we had some significant downpours.  Some sections that are usually bone dry were muddy, so I knew I was in for a treat when I got to the sections that are normally muddy.  Nothing had prepared me for the last section of mud before the Sober's Run Loop.  There was no choice at all but to just run through the muddy water.  My legs were caked in mud by the end of the run.

Early in the Sober's Run Loop, I came to the section that is slightly overgrown.  It seemed a little more clear today then it has been.  I thought to myself, if a big horse came through this area, it would probably clear away some of the brush.  Sure enough, right after that I came up behind a horse.  Thankfully, I think this is the first one I've encountered all summer.

I was kind of annoyed because I caught up to it on a singletrack section.  I hate passing horses anywhere and this would've been a pain in the butt.  I just turned around.  After a short distance, I realized that the horse would be out to a wider path shortly and I probably wouldn't catch it if I turned back around.  I never did see it and have no idea where it went.

Climbing the powerline section was definitely tough, but with less humidity and no sunshine, it was doable.  In fact, I ran the entire time.  The pace was a little brisk too, so I was somewhat beat by the end.

The downhill was nice, although I did have a gas spell for a bit.  My plan now was the finish the Sober's Run loop and continue on the short loop along the creek.  That would add some distance.  This time, the path was clear of horses and people too.  I had fun on the singletrack along the ridge.

Right as I came to the short downhill to the creek section, a little girl was riding her mountain bike with her dad.  I didn't think they would ride down to where I was and I especially didn't expect them to fly by me like they did.  I was impressed.

As I came out onto the main part of the loop, I noticed a runner behind me.  That pushed me to up the pace a bit.  I don't ever like getting passed in a non racing situation and it never happens on trails either, unless it is by friend.  I think he gained some on me, but never got too close.  He went a different way at the road.

I ran back toward the main lot.  I figured that if I continued on the tricky high ridge near the main lot, I would get over 9 miles done when I was back at the parking lot.  First, I had to climb the hill behind the new building.  That was tough, but I pushed up it.  I then had some downhill until the ridge.

While going up the ridge, I an older couple waited for me.  I was impressed that they were hiking such tricky terrain.  They told me to be careful and I said, "I know, I've done this a few times before."  Although I was tiring, I was still focused.  It is when I lose focus that I get into trouble.

I flew up and over the roots.  I came to a group of hikers, most of them were kids.  One woman towards the end didn't see me and I did get a little close to the edge of the cliff as I went around her.  This section is so much fun.  It is such a blast and true trail running.

I then was back on normal trail.  I crossed over the bridge over the creek and headed back on the main path.  This was nice and easy.  I got to the water fountain at around 9.6 miles.  I didn't have far to go, so I did a short out and back to finish up this solid run.

It was good to get out there and enjoy the run.  Usually, I do enjoy the runs once I get going.  Getting started is another story though.  I often put off going out.  I was considering biking after dark, but the idea of doing loop after loop didn't appeal much to me.  I'll hit the bike a little more later in the week.

Tomorrow, I hope to run again and perhaps bike in the morning too.  I'm going to another cross country meet, so I'll have to work around it.  Maybe I'll run less mileage tomorrow.  The meet is at Saucon Valley, so South Mountain is definitely a possibility.  I would like to end the week with a 10 miler the day before my marathon.  It would be very easy.

10 miles - 1:36:13 (9:37 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment