Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Easy Nor-Bath Run

After back to back days exploring some new places, today was just about easy and convenient.  I headed out to the Nor-Bath Trail for a basic 8 mile run.  I started from the east end of the trail as I often do and figured that I would run 4 miles out and 4 more back.

It was a nice day.  Actually, it was a little hotter than I would've liked, so I switched from a regular short sleeve shirt to a sleeveless one.  That was a good choice as I was soaked by the end of the run.  I'll take this weather any day though.  It was 100X better than the summertime.

I was a little slow in the beginning.  My calf was stiff like it has been.  I thought at first that I might struggle to even do 3 miles.  I just plodded along.

Crossing Airport Road was a breeze for a change.  That is rare during the middle of the afternoon.  This trail is kind of boring, but it amazing how much more enjoyable a run can be when the conditions are nice.  The first mile was kind of slow at just under 9 minutes.

There were a few people on the trail, but overall it wasn't too busy.  It rarely is.  That's why I was very surprised at what happened next.  I heard someone coming up from behind.  The guy passed me.  That's never happened on this trail before.  I was actually more impressed with myself for not getting into a race with him.  I could've run his pace, but it would've taken some work.  He turned off at Bicentennial Park and that was the end of that. 

I ran on as I still had a couple miles to go before I'd even turn around.  I felt great.  I was flying.  Without much effort, I was running in the low 8 range.  I got over the next road crossing easily.

My legs did start to bother me a little when I hit the pavement and the following road crossing.  That had some up and down and I struggled slightly with that too.  The pace didn't feel hard, but maybe it was a little brisker than I'm used to. 

When I came out to the neighborhood section, I decided to run on the sidewalk for a short distance until I got to mile 4.  I then turned and headed back.  Again, the pavement was tough.  I was wondering if I might have to slow my pace.

Things picked back up though and I was cruising along.  I guess I was headed slightly downhill.  That seems to make all of the difference.  The final 3 miles were solid.

I was just counting down the miles because I was getting hot.  It was great to get to miles 6 and 7.  Crossing Airport Road was frustrating this time.  I had to wait between 5-10 seconds.  That cost me some time in the final mile.

That last mile was still quick though.  I felt great on the other side of the road and just decided to push for the last half mile.  The overall pace even dropped a couple seconds after a 7:49 mile.  At some point, I do have to get back to working on my speed.

It was a good run and nice to be done with 8 miles rather quickly.  I've put in a solid week of shorter runs.  I plan on another run or two on the Appalachian Trail while I'm camping in Connecticut this weekend.  Tonight, I'm hoping to bike some more too.

  8 miles - 1:05:54 (8:14 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment