Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Solid and Easy Seven

When it became clear that I couldn't qualify for Boston at the VIA Marathon, I knew that I would use that as a training run for the Blues Cruise 50K.  I hoped I could recover well from an easy effort marathon, but it is still a marathon, so I wasn't sure.  However, after 2 days, I have recovered very well.

If I really pushed it, I could've ran yesterday.  I was fairly sore though and it wouldn't have been worth it.  Running on tired legs is one thing, but sore legs is another.  Basically, I felt like I do recovering from a hard effort half marathon.

I got out there to run today, since I was feeling good.  To save the legs, it was back on the trails as usual.  I headed to the Jordan Creek Parkway after work.  I thought summer had left us, but I guess not as it was back in the 80s and humid again today.  I was glad to be in the shade of the trail.  It was back to wearing no shirt again.

I started off on the flat disc golf hole section along the creek.  I figured that this is nice and easy and a good way to get the legs going.  There weren't too many people using the course, so that was nice. 

I ran over the creek and around a couple ponds.  Something jumped off the trail and into one of the ponds as I ran by.  I think it was a frog, but I don't know.  I didn't see it.  It was quite a loud splash.

I looped around and tried taking one of the many paths.  Somehow, I ended up back at the bridge over the creek.  I thought I was heading the complete opposite way.  That's the second time that I've done the exact same thing and been disoriented.  I generally know where to run here now and where I am, but it will take me some time to figure out the correct paths to take to get exactly where I want, especially in this section.

I continued to wander around.  Eventually, I came to the rocky uphill on the disc golf course.  Finally, I turned off the trail and was headed the correct way.  I wanted to run the uphill and then fast down the long hill.  I did have to be a little cautious going down as it is rocky and there isn't much of a ledge.  I did stumble a few times during the run.  I never fell though.  Once, my toe hurt pretty bad.

I came out by a woman walking a dog.  I saw a few people doing this throughout the run.  Most were on the main paths though.  I pretty much had the trails to myself.  That's the nice thing about a weekday afternoon.  I'm really enjoying running this place.

After a short distance on the paved path, I crossed the "Bridge to Nowhere."  I took the path along the creek.  That gave me about 2/3 of a mile out and back.  I was getting near to the 4 mile point at this point.  I was soaked, but by now I'm used to the humidity.  It almost doesn't bother me unless I run over 2 hours.

After that section, I climbed a little bit on the top ridge.  This is a fun, little loop.  I noticed that one section where I had to climb over a fallen tree, I was now able to run right through.  I guess the mountain bikers maintain it well and they cut the tree apart.

I came back down the hill and over the "Bridge to Nowhere" again.  Then, I ran the other section along the creek, back toward the starting area.  This is nice and flat too and a lot of fun.  When I arrived back near my car, I was at 4.85 miles.  I had a few short miles to go yet.

I decided on an out and back along the disc golf course again.  I went out and over the bridge and then along the baseball field.  I looped all over the place in that section and when I got back to my car area, I still had about half a mile to go. 

I decided on the section along the creek in the other direction then.  I did a short out and back and finished up with a solid 7 miles.  I was getting pretty tired by that point.  Part of it was leg fatigue and part of it was the humidity.  I could've run another 3 miles or so, but much more than that would've been a struggle.

I also got out there tonight and rode a humid 20 miler on the bike.  Since I recovered so well from the marathon, I'm going to shoot for another 40 miles of running and 100 miles of biking this week.  At some point I'll taper for the 50K.  I don't think it will be too much of a taper though.  After that is over, I want to build my endurance even more.  I'd love to run 50 miles a week and bike 125 miles.  That would require me to get up earlier and also ride and run in the dark as we are already losing daylight quickly.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to ride another 15-20 miles in the morning.  Then, I'm headed down to Philly for a Team Challenge fundraiser that a friend is doing.  That is a group that raises money for Crohn's, so I figured that I should probably go to it.  I guess it is another good reminder of what I've overcome too after major surgery less than 2 years ago.  Before the fundraiser, I'm hoping to squeeze is another 7-10 miler on one of my favorite trails, Wissahickon.  It is going to be even hotter and more humid tomorrow.  I can't wait until this weather ends completely.

7 miles - 1:11:00 (10:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment