Saturday, September 14, 2013

Kind of Pointless Run

I have an engineering degree, so you can say I like numbers.  Most weeks, I've set a goal of 40 miles of running and 100 miles of biking.  I wasn't planning on doing it this week, but when I recovered so well from my marathon, I figured I might as well do so.  After all, I didn't have to run much after 26.2 miles on Sunday.

I had to cut my last run a couple miles shorter than what I would've liked because of humidity.  That meant that I needed 2 more miles of running to get to 40.  I had some time this afternoon, so I went for a short run.  I decided to drive to the industrial park near my house.  I figured I could loop around the nearby neighborhood.

My last run was only a couple days ago, but what a difference in the weather.  It basically went from summer weather to late fall weather.  It is like we just skipped the beginning of fall.  I wasn't even sure what to wear.  Since I wasn't running much and wouldn't sweat, I opted for a jacket.  I quickly took that off though.

I ran a short out and back in the industrial park.  It was .4 miles long.  I ran at what I guess I would call a moderate pace.  It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either.  The first mile, as I warmed up, was certainly easier than the 2nd one.  It was an 8:16 opening mile.

I ran into the neighborhood next.  It was a nice little loop and a chance to see some new houses and some houses that were under construction.  After leaving the neighborhood, it was mostly downhill to my car.  That meant that the pace was pretty quick.  It was a 7:26 final mile.  I didn't feel like I was working too hard either.

I felt like I might be able to run that 2nd mile pace for a half marathon.  If that were the case, that would be pretty impressive.  Maybe my endurance is actually helping my speed too.  I hope I'm getting stronger.

The thing I really had to do over the last two days was ride my bike.  I slacked off riding earlier in the week and only had 30 miles in the books with 2 days remaining in the week.  Yesterday I rode twice, once 15 miles and the other 20 miles.  I ended up doing the same thing today.  Two of those rides were after dark too.  That was fun, but cold.  Riding 70 miles in two days wasn't easy, but I'm feeling good.  It is nice to have another solid week done. 

I might ride again tomorrow if I have time.  If not, I'll definitely run on Monday and hopefully ride.  The run will be a 20 miler.  I need to incorporate some more of those in my training, especially if it stays cool.

2 miles - 15:41 (7:51 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment