Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back to Trexler

Now that I've finally built up some strength, I decided today would be a good day to tackle the hills of Trexler Nature Preserve.  It is easily my favorite place to run.  The hills are so challenging, the views are breathtaking and the trail is in great condition.  It is definitely a gem.

I know this place is difficult to run on, but it still always seems to come up and bite me while I'm climbing.  You'd think I wouldn't be shocked at hills that I've run plenty of times before, but they always seem even more challenging than I recall.

I started at the central range near the main building.  It is a steep downhill to begin.  I got destroyed very early on with the first uphill.  I was only one third of a mile into the run and I already had to start walking.  That was humbling.  I got running again at the top of the hill.

I managed to make it to the two mile mark before I actually walked again.  I was able to run up some of the moderate hills like the one near the bison pen.  Shortly after that is the road section.  That was good to change surfaces for a bit.  Then there's the rocky section.  That is fun to scramble over because it isn't too long.  Finally, I climbed a bit before turning around at 1.5 miles.

My goal coming in was to run 2 miles, but the legs were feeling great, so I went farther out than I expected.  The hills were exhausting, but I was able to recover some in between.  I always forget how steep coming back up the road portion is.  As I was running it, I remember saying the same thing last year.  Then the trail gets even steeper.  I managed to start running up the trail, but had to walk at the two mile point.

I actually shut my watch off briefly and was going to walk the rest.  I changed my mind and began running again as I got to the crest of the hill.  I was able to run over the next hill.  I had to walk again when I thought I was at the top of a hill, but it turned out to be a false summit.  The downhills are quite difficult at times too.  They are so fast.

I again ran part of the last steep hill before walking.  I finished up in the parking lot to complete a 5k.  That's one third of the Quadzilla distance.  Crazy to think about that.  The weather was beautiful so this run was amazing.

I ran better than I expected.  The knee acted up a little, but overall it wasn't too bad.  The softness of the trails is a big help.  It was a taxing and great workout.  I need to try to get out there even more.

Usually you are supposed to walk uphill and run the rest of the trails.  I did that when I had no choice as my body couldn't take any more uphill running.  Any time it would allow me to do so, I'd run up them.  I need to built up strength and that is the best way to do it.

This is my third run of the week.  I'm very happy that I can run with more frequency now.  I'll be watching the second day of the District XI track meet today.  On Saturday, I hope to join the Breakfast Club group run.  I need some other runners to push myself some more and group runs are great for that.

3.1 miles  - 33:17 (10:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment