Sunday, May 13, 2012

Another Nor-Bath Night Run

I've only been out running a handful of times since this comeback started, but this was already my third night run.  I guess you could say I'm becoming addicted.  Actually, tonight I ran the Nor-Bath Trail at night because I didn't have many other options.  I didn't get home from an auto race until dusk.  By the time I got done unpacking it was already later, so I headed out and started off at 9:15.

I was going to run last night and really wanted to so that I could get my third run of the week in.  I found more excuses not to run though than reasons to run on Saturday night.  I didn't want to run on pavement and the dirt path around the track is just too rough.  Plus, I ate a big dinner and it wasn't sitting with me too well.  Basically, I could've run, but why bother to when you aren't feeling up to it.  I'm committed enough that I knew I'd run tonight.

The first time out there a couple weeks ago, I ran without a headlamp.  I was planning on using my lamp this time.  The problem was that it wasn't in my bag when I got to the trail.  I didn't think I took it out after the last night run, but I guess I must have.

The lack of lighting made the trail interesting at time.  The first problem though was that it took me quite awhile to get a GPS signal.  I often seem to have that problem there.  I'm not sure if it is the trees or what.  I finally got moving though after quite a bit of walking.  That wasn't all bad though as it made for a good warmup.

Anyway, back to the light issue.  The old rail trail runs through fields.  Some sections are open, but other have quite a thick canopy of trees.  It was difficult to see during these sections and even a bit eerie.  At one point, I came up on two cones.  It was so dark that I couldn't make out what they were until I was right on them. 

Crossing Airport Road is much better at night, even if it isn't safe.  There's little traffic on this portion.  Distance seemed to be clicking away so slowly.  I thought I was at around 1.5 miles out, but it only ended up being 1.25 miles.  You have to be very devoted to your craft to be out there running alone like that in the dark.

Originally, I was hoping that maybe I could stretch this run to a new 2012 long of 4 miles.  I was hoping to run to the 1.75 mile or 2 mile mark and then see how far I could come back.  My plans changed rather quickly though when I came to almost 1.5 miles.  I started to smell a skunk and its odor got stronger.  I decided the risk of getting sprayed by a skunk I couldn't see wasn't worth trying to bang out another half mile each way.  Therefore, I head back towards home.  I figured if I really wanted to, I could do a short out and back.

As I approached 2.25 miles, my leg finally started acting up a bit.  It is definitely recovering better because it didn't bother me in the beginning this time.  Once it started giving me problems this time, I knew I wouldn't be pushing on to 4 miles. 

I had to use the bathroom and luckily I didn't have to be too discrete about it on this dark and deserted trail.  That cost me a few seconds and might've prevented my pace for going under 9:30 per mile.  Regardless, I decided to push it at the end.  I don't need to run hard too often, but it is good to finish runs strong every now and then.  At the moment, it is more important for me to built up a nice base though.

I would've liked to have gone a bit further, but I'm satisfied with completing three miles.  I'm recovering better now than I was a week ago and I'll be able to run with more frequency.  It won't be too long before three miles is an easy day.  The first few weeks seem to build up slowly, but once you get a good base started the miles come quickly as does the improvement.  The soreness goes away too.  I'm starting to become a real expert on this comeback stuff.

I stretched and iced afterward in hopes of keeping my strong recovering going.  I want to get back out there and run.  Not sure where I'll run next, but I'd like for it to be on Tuesday.  I could go to the Finish Line group run, but they do run on roads (which I'm not sure I'm ready for yet) and sometimes go quite far.  On the other hand, group runs push me like nothing else.  Recovery may determine whether I do that.  I'd also like to get to Trexler Nature Preserve sometime this week to get beat up on the hills for the first time.  That's one place where my lungs will likely go before my legs do, although the hills will kill both.  Regardless, it should be a good week of training.

3 miles - 28:37 (9:33 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment