Monday, May 28, 2012

Indy Run #2 (5/25/12)


I ran for the second night in a row in Indianapolis.  I decided that I wanted to do a run closer to downtown.  I knew there was a canal path near the heart of the city.  The plan was to go out for 3 scorching miles.  It was again very hot, even in the evening.  It is only going to get hotter too.
After a quick bathroom pit stop, I finally got going.  I was going to look at a map they had, but it was missing.  I turned around and followed a girl along the river.  She was quite a bit ahead of me, but it was good practice for catching up.  When we got to the actually canal, she ran one way and I ran the other.  We were on opposite sides of the canal.

The path was cool.  It ran by a lot of building including the NCAA Hall of Champions and Indiana State Museum.  There were also a lot of condos and even a shop or two.  The pathway was beautiful.  It was mostly concrete, but it was a mixture of that and different types of pavers.
As we rounded one corner, I thought the loop was over.  It turned out it kept going and going pretty far into town.  I felt good in the first mile and was thinking to myself that it wasn’t so hot.  My opinion changed quickly though.  Even without a shirt on and later in the evening, it was a hot one.  It also didn’t help that I was running on the sunny side of the canal.

I decided to keep going and going.  I was hoping and figuring the path would end soon.  Sure enough, I was correct.  After a little over a mile and a half, it finally ended and I looped back around the other side.  I shortly passed the girl.

Being on the other side was a big relief.  It was cooler there in the shade most of the way.  It was still quite hot though and after mile two I was starting to feel it.  The rough surfaces took their toll a bit too.  It wasn’t that bad, but my groin was getting sore.

I continue to be amazed at how rude people are here when you are running.  No one said hi.  Only one guy on a bike yelled “coming on your right.”  At one point two groups of walkers were passing in front of me.  The group coming at me was about 4 wide and the one girl could clearly see me coming.  She didn’t move over and I had to slow and brush up against the guy walking on my side.  I should’ve just plowed her over.

I was surprised at my pace.  I ran easy, but my time was pretty fast.  A big part of that was the flatness of the route.  At the same time though, I figured the heat would slow me a lot.  Instead, the pace was good.

I finished right around where I started and was very relieved.  It was hot and I was sweating like crazy.  My eyes have been bothered some by my allergies out.  It has caused me to rub them.  The sweat dripped into some of the sore spots and it burned.  Not too much fun.

It was another scenic and fun run.  I like exploring the city.  Indianapolis definitely has some good waterways.  I wish hills existed around here, but for now the flatness will do.

I really want to get a 5 or 6 mile run in tomorrow.  Running in the morning would be most ideal, but I’m not sure how recovered my legs will be after an evening run.  Tomorrow night, we are going to a race, so I can’t run then.  I’d either have to run in the dark or on Sunday morning (race morning).  Both might be a pain out here, as would a run in the heat during the afternoon.  We shall see what I do.

3 miles 26:25(8:49 pace)


No comments:

Post a Comment