Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great Group Run

Nights like tonight are exactly why I love group runs.  It pushed me beyond a point that I'd go by myself and I got to chat about running a lot both during and after the run.  There were still only three of us at the LVRR Group Run, but I think we all had a great workout and a good time.

Aaron came who I've run with before at the Finish Line runs, including Tuesday.  It works out great because he's faster than me so I always hang with him for awhile before dropping off.  Even after dropping off though, my pace stayed strong.  In addition to Aaron, Shawn a high school runner from Central joined us.  He was fast too.

For the first mile and a half or so, I ran with Shawn, just behind Aaron.  I knew I couldn't quite keep the pace up for five miles, especially as it was getting faster.  I told Shawn to ahead and him and Aaron left me in the dust.  It was fine though because this is how I'll improve, by running strong with others.

We got near the big hills in the Fish Hatchery area.  I started up the hill, but knew that if I ran to the top, I'd pay for it on the later hills near the end of the run.  I know my limit.  I ran back after that and along the other side of the river.

The hills were killer, but I still ran strong.  The mile after I let Aaron and Shawn go, I dropped back to an 8:40 mile.  After that, I was able to crank it up again though.  I saw my overall pace was 8:20, so I worked hard to keep it under that for the remainder of the run.

Staying strong sure wasn't easy.  The hills were brutal.  I kept pushing though.  I was very happy with my pace.  The big thing I focused on was keeping good form.  When I do that late it a run, I'm so much more efficient.  I ended with an out and back when I passed the clubhouse.  Apparently Aaron and Shawn had a good workout at the end and really came in hard too.

I kept my pace under 8:20.  That's been by far my best run yet from a pace standpoint and it was close to my longest run too.  My progress has been great.  It's hard to believe I've only been running since April 18th after over a six month layoff.  That day I ran one mile at a 10:09.  Today, I ran an 8:18 pace for 5 miles.  This rapid progress is reminding me of my rapid ascent during high school track when I went out my Senior year.  The great thing is I'm not pushing too much either.  I did today, but most days I'm running comfortably.

It is great to get the legs back and equally as much fun running with and meeting people.  I think this was good run for Shawn and I'm hoping that I can get these high school group runs going.  That will help them make progress as well as myself.

Tomorrow is a rest day.  Hopefully I'll be strong for the Freedom to Liberty run on Saturday.  I don't think I beat myself up too much on this one.  That course is much flatter and faster than this.  I just have to make sure I hold back early and pick it up late.  I'm up to running five days a week now and I'll hit the twenty mile mark this weekend after the race.

5 miles - 41:41 (8:18 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment