Thursday, May 10, 2012

Back to Leading the Group Run

I recovered very well from my last run.  There's still some soreness in my legs, but it isn't as bad as last week.  A lot of icing definitely helped.  Even all the running around I did at the track meet and 5k didn't bother it too much.

I would've liked to have run on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I just didn't have time.  The extra days off certainly didn't hurt.  There's no rush to do too much.  I decided I would come back to the group run today.  I figured I'd only do about two miles, but I could at least open the clubhouse up and run a little.

The turnout for the group runs has been very poor since we started them back up this spring.  Most weeks, we've been lucky if anyone even showed up.  Today no one did other than the other run leader Akshay.  Him and I ran a nice and easy two miles and then he continued on for a bit.

The weather was quite chilly.  I went with a long sleeve shirt.  I knew that was questionable, but didn't think I'd run long enough for it to matter.  It actually didn't, but I was sweating quite a bit at the end.

I wanted to get some hills in, so we ran from the clubhouse up towards the police academy.  Those hills were definitely slow, but I didn't struggle too much with them.  It did take a lot out of me though and before a mile and a half I was exhausted.  We ran over the first bridge and looped back until I hit two miles.  Akshay walked back with me until the bridge by the clubhouse.  Then he continued on running.   We were just over a 10 minute pace per mile, but I decided not to push it to go under.

I was sore right afterward, but not too bad a few hours later.  I did some stretching and now I'm icing it.  I just have to keep concentrating on recovery until I get stronger.  Then I can afford to slack a bit.

I wish I knew why our group runs are struggling so much.  Apparently people said they wanted them, but none are going that great.  Saturday is better than the weekday ones were.  I think part of the problem is that people see the low turnout and don't come back.  We at least had a nice little core in the fall, but they haven't returned this spring.

 On Wednesday evening, I took photos for the first Summer Series 5k.  They were well received on the facebook page.  I guess I'll be doing that from now on.  Jill asked me if I would write a weekly workout on the LV Running Scene newsletter.  That would be great.  I'd love to contribute to her website, but I just don't know what to write about.  It seems like everything has been said all ready.  Anyone who has been subscribing to Runner's World for years understands this.

Tomorrow I may or may not run in the evening.  That depends how much walking we do at the auto race that I'm camping at.  If I'm not sore, I might give it a go.  I'll definitely try again on Saturday evening.  I like running there at night, especially along the access road in the back.  The small airport is somewhat lit up and the road is mostly dirt.

All in all I've had a better week than last.  I've run smarter and recovered better.  Once I can kick this soreness completely, my training will skyrocket.  I just have to be patient.

2 miles - 20:10 (10:06 pace)


No comments:

Post a Comment