Sunday, October 25, 2009

Windy Biking

Today was my weekly hour of cross training, which I've actually skipped a lot lately. I did the usual bike ride to Falls Bridge and back. I pedaled in a low gear the whole time.

The temperature was in the low 60s, so I figured I'd just wear a long sleeve T-shirt and shorts. That was a huge mistake. The winds along the river were extreme. It was very cold and uncomfortable.

I was going to ride along West River Drive. There was huge walk when I got there though. Instead, I rode to Lloyd Hall and along Kelly Drive. The regatta was going on for a second straight day.

I rode along the close roadway where possible. I thought about turning around, but figured that it would only be windy on the way out and if I could just make it to the bridge, I'd be fine. It turns out that it was actually worse going the other direction. I was really freezing, but made it back home.

It was a good ride, other than the conditions. My quads were a little sore from yesterday, but not too bad. Overall, I recovered pretty well from my second longest run ever on Saturday. My biggest running week ever is coming up and I can't wait. It consists of a 20 mile long run and 40 miles of running total.

I had a text conversation with my friend Bridget today. She was asking about my running. Jokingly, I said, "now I have to get you running." She said she hates running, but would like to run a 5K sometime. I told her that I'll train her and run with her in the spring (since I know she won't run in the winter).

I've been eager to help friends that have started running, take their workouts to another level. Some people have said maybe, but none have really committed to it. I'd love to be able to get Bridget to the 5K distance and I'd run with her in the race too. She lives fairly close to Valley Forge Park and I've wanted to run there too. I think helping others with their running would be even more rewarding than improving my own running.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to run on Tuesday. I have to run 5 miles. I think I'll do an out and back on West River Drive. I'd like to make it a morning run, but we'll have to see because the Eagles play tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment