Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nursing the Injury

Instead of the scheduled 5 mile run today, I rode my bike for nearly 40 minutes. I went out on West River Drive and back. I don't really like riding, but hopefully it'll be the best way to heal this injury.

It wasn't too cold out, but early on I was questioning if I dressed properly. I wore a jacket and shorts. Because of the wind that is generating when biking, I was very cold. I don't have a clue how to dress while riding in different conditions.

I began to question whether I had the proper attire on. Most people I encountered on bikes were fully covered. Later on, I came across a few others who were wearing less. After awhile, I did warm up.

Even with the cold, I was sweating at the end of the workout. I rode on a low gear and didn't feel like I worked very hard though. My legs didn't take a pounding. A big guy on a mountain even passed me at this slow speed. That was fine though. I could feel the injured part of my leg a couple times, but it didn't bother me.

I'm used to riding this stretch on the street, when the road is closed on the weekends. I forgot how bumpy the path is. It has bumps because of the tree roots. That made for a frustrating and rocky ride.

The leg feels pretty good after the ride and I'm going to continue to rest it with cross training. Hopefully that'll help and I can get back to running next week. I guess we'll see. I'm not too concerned if I have to do a lot of cross training, but I'd really like to get my 18 and 20 mile runs in.

Saturday, I'll ride again for about 2 hours. That should simulate the scheduled 12 mile run. Sunday will be the usual cross training hour. I'm trying not to walk around too much either. I'm also working on some strengthening exercises too.

No comments:

Post a Comment