Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Back on My Feet

After taking off since last Wednesday, I ran this afternoon. I did my scheduled 4 mile route along Kelly Drive. Instead of the usual morning run, I decided to wait until later in the afternoon. I read a few times where this is a better time to run because your legs are loosened up.

Having said that, I really didn't enjoy running in the afternoon and I'm not sure I'll continue it. It's not that it was bad, it's just harder to motivate myself to get up when I'm sitting around and watching TV. I'd much prefer to get up, eat and get it out of the way. That's definitely the best way for me to not skip runs.

My leg has felt much better lately, so the rest was a help. It still feels tight from time to time when I walk, but I'm no longer limping around. It felt really good as I walked to Lloyd Hall.

The leg was pretty good throughout the run. There was some minor soreness during and afterwards. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it when running if I wasn't looking for it.

The thing that bothered me early on was the outside of my left ankle. It starting bothering me right off the bat with my first step. I never had an issue there before. After about half a mile, it went away.

I ran with only a few minor aches. I was surprised with some soreness in my calves. All in all though, my legs felt pretty good. It it did seem a little weird after not running for nearly a week. I didn't push myself though, instead I took it easy.

I made sure to stretch beforehand. That's something I haven't been doing. I did even more extensive stretching when I was done, including when I got home and did my ab workout. I want to do all I can to keep my legs strong and loose.

The headwind was a real pain on the way out. It's getting to be that time of year where it gets very windy around the river. That's going to be very frustrating during the marathon. At least I'll be used to it. I have a fancy material T-shirt that I bought the other week and it proved to be quite wind resistant. That was nice. The wind wasn't a problem on the way back and it was ideal running conditions.

I finished solidly, not pushing myself too hard. It felt good to get that out of the way, but the real tests are yet to come. I need to see how my leg responds to see where I'm at. I hoped it would be 100% healed when I got back to running, but it isn't.

I really need to get through this next three weeks. After that, it will be my taper period. Then, I can relax and won't mind missing a run here and there if I have to.

Tomorrow's run is scheduled for 9 miles, but I'm going to take it easy and likely only run 7. To ease my legs on the long run, I'm going to run on Temple's track. That's going to be very boring, but will reduce the impact. I'm also going to reverse directions after every mile. Saturday's long run and recovery will be the biggest test. I'll probably cut that run from 18 miles to 15 or 16 miles.

It feels great to be back and hopefully good things are ahead. I still have a bit to go until the marathon and I can see the finish line. I just need to take it easy, be more cautious and patient. Hopefully, that'll keep me injury free.

4 miles - 34:59 (8:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment