Saturday, October 24, 2009

Back in the Green

On my marathon training schedule, I color in green for days that are successful completed. I haven't had a full green week since the week before the Lancaster Half Marathon. This week, I completed all of my runs. It has been a big boost. Technically, I still have to complete my cross training bike ride tomorrow though.

I felt great today so I actually ran about 16.5 miles instead of the scheduled 14 miles. I nearly did two full Falls Bridge loops. The weather was rainy, but what else is new for my long runs. It seems like it is always raining. I do like running in the rain, but it would be nice to get a clear day for the long run every now and then.

I started at Lloyd Hall since I had to make a stop at the bathroom. I ran along Kelly Drive after some good stretching. I ran pretty hard early on. I made sure to change paces throughout most of the first half of the run. That was a big help.

Early on, I felt hot and thought that wearing my special T-shirt with the fuel belt would be a big problem. As the rain fell harder, it did an excellent job of wicking away the rain water. The rain was in my face for most of the way back on the loop.

I'm starting to get used to the fuel belt, but I still don't really like it. Even with the bottles only half full, it is heavy. Because I ran so much longer than expected, I actually ran out of Gatorade and gels. It really didn't bother me though.

There was a high school regatta that was a pain to get by. Most people are considerate, but some just don't pay any attention and it becomes a real pain. It seems like there's always a regatta of some kind. I'm just glad I didn't drive down there, as I was considering doing.

There was also another charity walk on West River Drive. It wasn't as packed as the other week though and the participants didn't get in the way. They even offered me water at the water stop at one point. I was out of fluid and should've actually taken it.

Right as I was finishing my first loop I saw a guy in a hat partly blocking my path. I thought to myself, "what's wrong with this jerk. Pay attention." When his face came up from under the baseball cap, I realized it was Mayor Michael Nutter. I'm glad I didn't make a smartass comment.

When I got to Lloyd Hall, I turned around and ran the opposite direction for the second loop. Shortly after starting that loop, I came across one of the Drexel women's coaches. I should've just turned around and ran with her for a bit.

I kept going on West River Drive. I was getting tired and had to slow down. The road was closed on that portion, so I ran on it. One part is kind of tough because it slopes a lot. I started thinking about some other things rather than my aching body and that was a big help getting through the second loop.

On the way back, I wanted to just go to the Strawberry Mansion Bridge on Kelly Drive, but I realized that would make for a long walk back home. That was all that kept me going as far as I did beyond the 13 miles. Eventually I made it past there and ran the grandstands.

I really should've stopped at the grandstand and grabbed some water. Instead, I ran along, trying to get to Lloyd Hall. My left calf starting getting tight and I decided to stop running about 3/10th of a mile from Lloyd Hall.

As I walked back, it started raining hard. I was very sore, especially my feet. I had to stop a couple times to rest on the walk home. I did stretch very well again afterwards. That seemed to be a big help as I'm not too sore right now.

I've been behind schedule for quite awhile now. This successful week has been a key big boost for me. Just a week ago, I was wondering if I'd even be able to run the marathon. Now, I'm confident I can. It is still a little overwhelming to think that I'll run 10 more miles than today. It'll help to not being wearing a fuel belt and also I'll be running with a crowd then.

Tomorrow, will be another hour bike ride early in the morning. I'm really looking forward to the marathon now and especially this next week of training. My long run is a big focus right now. I need to complete the 20 mile run. There's still quite a few runs after that, but it gets easy as I taper before the marathon.

16.46 miles - 2:23:02 (8:41 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment