Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Speeding Up Again

Today was one of the best runs that I've had it weeks. I ran over the 5 mile route with little trouble. I've been going slowly lately to be cautious. Today, I decided to push myself some more.

I think going slowly was stressing my muscles differently and causing all sorts of new pain. My hip and leg got a little sore towards the end, but it was minor. Stretching before and afterwards was a big help again. After a couple days off, the leg had been tightening up beforehand. I need to do a better job of stretching during rest days.

The temperature has been freezing lately. I decided not to attempt biking in the cold and rain on Sunday. It was in the 40s for a few days. Today, it warmed up into the mid 60s. It was actually almost too hot out there. Luckily, there was a nice breeze.

I started off the run by going at a nice clip. I ran fairly hard and smooth throughout. My legs felt weak, but I kept pushing. I passed quite a few people along the route.

I thought for sure I'd tire out, but I never really did. I slowed some at the end, but still ran strong. I didn't know where the turn around was supposed to be so I ran to the St. Joe's Prep boathouse and back.

For a little while, I thought about slowing down more or even quitting. I stayed mentally tough though and made it through the run. Certainly a lot of my issues are physical, but can't let them get to me. I need to be smart, but tough. I think this run will be a real confidence booster.

I ran in the afternoon again. That really is great from my leg muscle. It gets loosened up. It makes it a lot harder to want to run though. Getting up and running the same time every morning was good and made for a great start to the day. After lunch, motivating myself to get out the door is becoming difficult.

Tomorrow is a scheduled 9 mile run. Hopefully it can be another strong day and I can finally shake the injury bug. I don't plan on pushing like to day, but I still need to run fairly hard. These next two weeks are crucial and I need to make the most of them. I will probably run the loop tomorrow, plus Lloyd Hall to the Art Museum.

5.47 miles - 43:19 (7:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment