Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Wind Gap AT Snow Run

I had to work in the morning and had to go to the doctor early in the afternoon.  Therefore, I didn't have a lot of time.  I had to run though, since it snowed in the morning and there were still flurries in the afternoon.  I ended up staying local.

I did still want to get some elevation gain, so I headed to Wind Gap and the Appalachian Trail.  I haven't been there since a super hot summer day.  I was looking forward to a run in the opposite conditions.  I was the only car parked in the lot since it had started to snow.

The snow was great and it was supposed to be in the teens.  However, with no wind, it didn't feel all that cold.  I wore a long sleeve shirt and a vest.  I had on tights and used my thinner, normal gloves.  I didn't pack my headband, so I had to use a full winter hat instead.  I got too hot at times and I kept taking it off and putting it back on.

Last time I ran there, I went in both directions (I think).  Heading northbound is a very tough climb and super rocky at the top.  Going southbound is smoother at the start and has a bunch of switchbacks.

I wasn't crazy about having to run on the road to start, but I did so anyway, as I headed southbound.  I began the climb.  The white covered forest and trail was outstanding.  Running in the snow is so amazing, especially the fresh snow.  I was the first person on this part.

This section is tough, but the switchbacks make it runnable.  However, combining the snowy conditions, it was tough.  I alternated running and hiking as I ascended the side of the mountain.  The elevation is pretty high already, so it isn't much more than 500 feet of elevation gain initially.

I was to the top in no time.  There was this great rock outcrop with a northly view.  I stayed there for a bit and enjoyed the view.  I took a few photos and was on my way.

Next, it was some ridge running and a little more climbing.  This part is very technical, so it is hard to run.  I even fell here in the summer.  Today, I hiked a lot of it.  It was good to get to the top.

A lot of the top was smooth and very runnable.  The snow buried some of the small rocks, but every now and then I'd slip on one.  I still could see the big rocks, so I typically missed those.

I got to Hahn's Lookout, with a southerly view.  Again, I stopped there before going on my way.  This run was going by kind of slowly.  I wasn't even at 1.5 miles yet.

After some running along the top, the trail switched over and ran along the ridge on the north side of the mountain.  It was a little steep, so I had to be kind of cautious.  Every now and then, I'd slip, but it wasn't too bad and I still could run a lot of it.  Obviously, this wasn't a fast paced run.

I got out near 2 miles and it got very rocky.  I was kind of getting tired of the rocks and didn't want to have to keep running on them, so I turned around at 2 miles.  I had been hoping for 2.5 miles, but this would have to do.

It was fun running back and I did it much quicker.  There was some early up and down, but mostly it was downhill running now.  I stepped in my fresh footprints whenever I could.  That seemed to help.

I got to this flat faced, snow covered rock.  I carved "AT Run" out of the snow on it.  I hoped to take a photo, but my phone battery died.  That was disappointing.

I had fun running down the switchbacks.  Most of it was runnable.  I think this is probably a great place for doing repeats at in the future.  I'll have to give it a try.  It would definitely be a great place to run fast repeats, in clearer conditions.

I was then at the bottom and ran along the road.  I got back to my car and had to run a bit to get to mile 4.  I ran around the parking lot and down this access road.  I then ran briefly on a water company access road to finish up.

Although it was a short run, it was excellent.  The scenery was magnificent and exactly why I enjoy winter running so much.  A light snowfall makes for almost perfect running conditions, especially on a trail.  I look forward to more snowy run days ahead.

I don't have a plan for tomorrow yet.  If I have to work, I'll probably stay local.  If I don't, I may travel.  It is supposed to be cold and windy tomorrow though.  Therefore, I might not want to take a trip and run in terrible conditions.

4.01 miles - 1:00:35 (15:06 pace) 723 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment