Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Icy and Snowy Katellen Repeats

Last night's trip to the Katellen Trail was disappointing.  Since I worked again today, I wanted to go there again.  I wasn't sure though, as I had stomach cramps this morning.  I didn't eat much, but I felt better by the late afternoon.  I headed to the Katellen Trail.

I was running here because I wanted to get some good climbing repeats.  It is less than a mile from the bottom to the top on this trail.  It's nearly 600 feet of elevation gain too.  I've run here a few times, but only ever did two repeats (in the summer).  I wanted at least 3 and maybe 4.  I figured that I probably didn't have the time for a 4th one, unless I ran after dark.

It was right around the freezing mark.  Snow was heading our way, but had not arrived yet.  It wasn't windy, so it felt kind of warm.  Plus, I knew I'd be working hard uphill.  I decided to wear a lightweight long sleeve top and tights.  I kept my gloves on the whole time, but the headband came off early.  I got a little chilly, but overall, it worked out great.

I stopped last night because I didn't want to wear MICROspikes on this icy trail.  This time, I decided to put them on some old road shoes.  Since the MICROspikes provided the traction, I had no use for my heavier trail shoes.  It was a great choice and my legs didn't hurt at all.  Plus, the MICROspikes fit the road shoes better.

I started off easy.  I ran over the ice with no problems.  It was amazing, as it was like there wasn't even ice there.  However, there was indeed a thick sheet of it.  There were some clear parts and plenty of rocks too.  Still, but trail standards, this trail is quite runnable.

The trail gradually gains elevation and is easy running for a bit.  Then, I got to the steep stair section.  This part is incredibly tough to run.  Since I was doing a few repeats, I didn't even try.  I hiked for a bit and then began running again.

I ran until my breathing got too heavy.  Then, I hiked some more.  I was disappointed because I was able to run the whole thing once in the humidity of the summer.  Now, I was hiking sections of this steep trail.  I guess I had some issues with breathing in the cold air.

I'm just glad that my mindset has changed and I have no problem hiking.  Eventually, I'll get to the point where I can run this a few times in a row.  I just have to be consistent and keep working at it. 

I believe I was running when I got to the AT shelter.  There was no one there.  I didn't see another person during this entire run.  Just the way I like it.  I turned around when I got to the powerline cut.  I was 12 minutes in and over .8 miles into the run.

I headed back down now.  That was so much nicer.  I took it easy and was fairly cautious.  I had good grip, but there was still ice on the trail.  I was very careful going down the steep stair section.  I ran until the icy part ended, near my car.

I turned right around and headed back up.  Again, I ran until the stair section.  Hiking those seemed so tough.  I was probably around 800 to 900 feet of elevation gain at that point.  I hiked a bit and then ran again, when the trail was less steep.

I don't recall quite which parts I ran and which ones I hiked.  I believe it was slightly different this time around.  When my breathing would get too labored, I'd hike until I would recover.  Before long, I was at the top.  Getting up this time had been a struggle.

Of course it feels so tough going up and so easy coming down.  By now, it was snowing.  That added some nice scenery.  I got back to the bottom fairly quickly.  I was quite consistent too, as I think I finished this second repeat up somewhere around 40 minutes.  Each repeat took around 20 minutes.

I didn't take a break after this one either.  I ran right back up again, until the stairs section.  I wish this part wasn't so early in the repeats.  Then again, once I conquer that part, the rest is easy by comparison, I just have to do that.

I was hurting some more as I hiked.  I noticed with the coating of snow, I was losing grip slightly.  It wasn't enough to be a problem.  It was just a slight loss of traction.  I continued to climb on.

I think I ran to the shelter and then hiked after that.  The shelter is nearly the top, so if I can ever get that far while still running, I can probably will my way up the rest of it.  In better conditions, I'm sure I can run more of it.  It will help to know where everything is.

At the top, my watch was close to 1800 feet of elevation gain.  I ran north along the powerline.  This provided a little elevation, plus a nice view to the north.  I got a bit more distance and also was able to add some easier running.

I then headed back down the hill.  The descent was slightly slippery, but I was still able to run okay.  Almost out of nowhere, I felt the urge to go to the bathroom.  I ran on down the hill.

It got worse, so I tried to stop running for a bit.  That helped a little, but not enough.  Normally it works, but not today.  I would've had a quarter mile hike back up to the privy.  I was over a quarter mile back down to my car too.  Plus, I would've had a lot of driving to get to a bathroom.

For the first time ever, I decided to use the woods.  That wasn't ideal on a snowy and cold day, but when you have to go, you have to go.  I'm sure it is the first of many times.  I had stopped my watch before that.  I then hiked back to my car, after I was done.

It was a productive run and a good day.  I need to start getting here more often to do repeats.  That would be a huge help to my climbing.  I need even more time, so that I can do 5 or 6 repeats, instead of just 3.  These could really help me, as I head into spring ultra season.  Maybe I'll set up group runs there as well.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'm doing.  Traveling would be nice, but I don't know.  It may depend on the amounts of snow we get too.  If I have the time, I would like to get double digit miles.

4.91 miles - 1:03:29 (12:55 pace) 1693 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment