Monday, January 5, 2015

Cold and Windy Trexler Recovery Run

I was slightly sore yesterday.  That didn't keep me from running, but I just never got around to it.  I had to run today.

Winter has finally hit.  It was brutally cold and windy.  The temperature was below freezing and the winds were over 20 MPH.  This was probably the worst day yet.

There was no messing around.  I had on my ColdGear top and fleece vest.  I added tights, a headband and my thicker gloves.  It was super cold on the bare hilltops and super warm down below on the trails.  That made things tricky.

The starting area is usually one of the worst spots in winter.  You have to realize it will get better as you run along.  Otherwise, it's insanely hard to get moving.  I did take off.

The plan was to avoid the water crossing and run the 10 mile loop.  I was taking it easy though, just two days after a 50K.  I could've worked to get up the first big hill, but I elected to hike it.  I ran past the bison pen and they were all out, so I took a few photos.

I then ran and even walked some of the short hill after that.  I cruised along some of the downhill and out of the zoo area.  Next, it was on to the long climb.  I hiked some of this early on, but still ran a lot of it.  Even with hiking the hills, so much of the course is runnable.

The higher I got up along the ridge, the more windy and insanely cold it go.  I was so exposed.  At least the views were nice.  It was good to get to 2.5 miles.

Every now and then, there were small patches of ice in the areas that got no sun.  That was mostly where people had hiked.  I ran along for a bit.  Then, I hiked another short uphill.  It was run, hike, run.  I even took my time and hiked the false hills.

I knew I'd be hiking the big hill.  There was no question of that.  My legs were getting sore from hiking it.  I was starting to tire too.  I didn't eat much for lunch.

I ran some of the steep downhill and hiked the next hill.  Then, I was on to the other loop part.  I continued my hiking and running.  I knew after 6 miles, it would be a lot more running than hiking.  For now, I was contend.  I was still making solid time too.

I think I hit mile 5 at somewhere around 50 minutes, probably a little over it.  I was happy to just run a sub 11 minute pace.  So far, I was doing just that.

I crossed over the small stream that leads into the Jordan Creek.  Even that was flowing strong and I had to get my feet a little wet.  Next, it was on to the Elk Trail and big climb to the top.  I ran some of the early part.  I then hiked and ran past a woman that was hiking.  I was impressed.

This trail was nice and not too windy.  I was thrilled to get to the top.  That meant that most of the hard part was over.  I took a GU on the way to the top, as I was losing it a bit.

I came down and crossed the bridge over the creek.  I watched a car drive through the Ford.  That is always cool and I never tire of it.

I continued to alternate running and hiking, even on these shorter hills.  There was just no need to over do it.  I was running under an 11 minute pace anyway.

Eventually, I came to the big hill.  I ran the bottom of it and hiked the top.  That made it seem easy.  I figured I'd run most of the rest of the way.

I came out of the woods and it got cold again.  That was especially the case on the rolling hills.  At least I was in the final mile.  I sputtered along.

As I got within the final half mile, I began to realize that I might be able to run under 1:45 (even with so much hiking).  I really pushed hard up the final steep hill.  It was tough and I was breathing heavy, but I ran it all.

I ran the short hill after that too.  I then looped around the parking lot and finished.  There was no time to spare, as I just broke 1:45.

I was very happy with the run.  I mentally battled the cold.  That should make me tougher.  I also got in some elevation, but took it easy.  I didn't overdo it and I allowed for some recovery.

Tomorrow, I have a doctor's appointment in the afternoon.  I'm not sure if I'll get out there at all.  If I do, perhaps it won't be until after dark.  I don't expect to work a lot this week, so I'm looking for one adventure run somewhere.

10 miles - 1:44:59 (10:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment