Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Super Short Katellen Trail Run

I didn't have a run in me this afternoon.  That was too bad, since it was a perfect day.  Instead, I thought that I would try some repeats on the Katellen Trail after dark.  It is a side trail to the Appalachian Trail.  It is a short, but steep climb up the side of the mountain.

I headed there around 7 PM.  It was a good night for a run too, as it was right around the freezing mark, but there was no wind.  I wore a light weight long sleeve shirt and tights.  No headband, gloves or vest was needed.  I was even sweaty after a short bit.

I got fooled by the beginning of the trail.  My friend Ryan had told me that it wasn't icy, before the weekend's rain anyway.  The start of it was clear today, so I went with regular shoes. 

The trail certainly wasn't terrible, but it was icy in spots.  With a lot of climbing involved, that makes it hard enough in the day time.  At night and alone, I knew this could be a dangerous run.  I wasn't all that comfortable there either.

I ran on for a short distance, crunching on the ground and avoiding the ice as much as I could.  I nearly lost my footing on a steep uphill.  I climbed over the first step and didn't last much longer than that.  It was getting too steep and too icy.  I elected not to risk it and turned back around.

I cruised down the hill.  I had to be careful.  Luckily, it was less steep as I descended.  I got back to my car in no time.  I had only run 3/4 of a mile total.  I did still manage a 200 foot climb in that short period, so it wasn't a total waste.

I could've changed into my MICROspikes and run some more.  I would've likely done so in the daylight.  Since I wasn't too comfortable running there at night, I elected not to.  I figured it was better to just get more quality running done later in the week.  I do love running there and think I need to get some group repeat sessions there in the summer.

I'm not sure where I'll run tomorrow.  We are supposed to get an inch or two of snow.  That will likely dictate what I do.  I'd really love to get to the Delaware Water Gap.  If I do go, I'd need to have enough time for 3 Mt. Tammany loops though.  I'll decide when I know my work schedule and the weather conditions tomorrow.

.75 miles - 10:09 (13:29 pace) 203 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment