Sunday, January 11, 2015

Overdressed in Winter

It was off to Trexler for another weekend run today.  I didn't get started until after lunch.  The plan was to run 2 loops, for 20 miles total.  That would've been the most running I've ever done there.

When I arrived, Sue and Diana were there, heading out.  We chatted for a bit.  I had to go to the bathroom.  I also changed and they were probably 20 minutes ahead of me when I finally started.

I was very unsure of what to wear.  It was in the mid 20s, but there was no wind.  It felt much better than yesterday.  I opted for a light weight long sleeve shirt under my jacket.  I added tights and started with gloves on and a headband.  I would pay for my choice of attire later.

Right as I was about to start, two horses came up the trail.  I asked the riders if I could jump in front of them, so that I didn't have to pass them and they allowed me to.  I took off running.  So much for my planned easy start.  I needed to stay in front of the horses.  I did hike the big early hill and the riders were nowhere in sight.  That was a relief.

Once I was down from the highest elevation, I began to get warm.  I took off my headband and gloves.  I was still sweating though.  I cruised along, running most of this beginning stretch.  I did hike the beginning of the long hill, but I ran most of it after that.

I came across a horse coming the other direction.  It seemed a little edgy, but overall it wasn't a problem.  I thought I saw Diana and Sue, but it turned out to just be two hikers.  There was a thin layer of snow on the ground, but it was packed down.  The trail was very runnable.

Along this top and open part, I began to get cold again.  It was windy, so I put my headband back on.  Before long, I was out of that section.

I was now on the backside and down in the valley more.  I had several hills to hike.  The loose rocks, combined with the snow, made even hiking a challenge.  I battled on though.

I was able to hike the big hill, but it took its toll.  I was sweating like crazy now and knew that I was in trouble.  I was only around mile 4, but I clearly was overdressed.  I brought enough water for if I was comfortably dressed, but not enough for this situation.  I had to wipe a lot of sweat from my forehead.

I went across the other trails for the 10 mile loop.  I hiked some parts of this climb and ran others.  Coming down the white trail was kind of fun.  Then, I ran into an issue.  The small stream that feeds into the Jordan Creek was flowing well and pretty wide at the crossing.  Next to it, it was ice, but water was flowing under it.  I figured I'd either have to run across the cold water quickly or hope the ice held.  Either way, I figured I would probably get wet.

I paused for a moment and then grabbed a branch in the water and stood on the ice.  To my amazement, it held up and I walked across.  I was dry and happy as I headed up the Elk Trail.  There was a guy having his lunch next to the trail.

I hiked a lot of the uphill.  By this point, I was sweating a lot, but not as bad as before.  I had not given up yet on doing two loops, but I figured that it was unlikely.  Every time I got confident that I could do more, I ended up getting crushed mentally by the challenge of a steep hill.  I knew most of the hard running in this loop was behind me though.

I cruised down the ridge, toward the zoo.  I didn't feel good and thought I had to go to the bathroom.  Luckily, this didn't last.  I even ended up walking some of the stone, easy trail.  I ate some chips, hoping that I could bounce back.  It wasn't happening though.

I hiked the hills, but as at least I was able to run a lot.  I saw the two horses again, as well as the solo horse.  I also came across a bunch of hikers.  I was in survival mode.  I never did catch Sue and Diana, but somehow I leapfrogged them.

I wasn't too bad until about mile 8.  Then, I felt like I hit the wall.  It felt like mile 18 often does during a run, rather than mile 8.  I hiked the last really big climb.  I ran some more after that.  I was so dead.  This is how I often feel at Trexler when the summer heat and humidity pound on me.  I was so defeated.

I still could run, but was slower now.  I even ended up hiking some parts that I normally run.  When I got to the singletrack by KidsPeace, I saw some guys off of the trail.  Then, some barking hounds crossed the trail.  The three of them were tracking dogs I guess and were on a scent.  They couldn't be bothered at all by me.  We both went about our business.

Eventually, I came to last short climb.  I hiked that and ran the rest of the way in.  I was so depleted though.  I had food and more water at the


car and probably could've bounced back a little, but I opted instead to just call it a day.  My goal for the day wasn't to suffer and I had a quality 10 miles in the books.

Not finishing 2 loops did eat at me.  I definitely have to go back for more.  I'm resting tomorrow and the weather looks crappy anyway.  Maybe on Tuesday, I'll shoot for 20 miles again there.  If nothing else, I'll be running that day.  I'm just not 100% sure where at.

10 miles - 1:54:33 (11:27 pace) 2,1046 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment