Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 New Year's Day AT Run

Since my New Year's Eve plans changed, I decided to take off yesterday and run today instead.  With football all day, I needed to run early in the morning.  At least early by my standards.  I began around 10:30 in the morning.

It was freezing cold when I looked at the forecast.  It was 17 degrees at that point, but probably near 30 degrees when I actually started the run.  I may have been a little overdressed, but that's better than being underdressed.  I had on a fleece vest over my ColdGear top.  I wore tights on the bottom and had on my thickest gloves, along with a headband.

I have a 50K on Saturday.  Therefore, I didn't want to run too far or with too much elevation gain.  I drove to Route 191 again to run the Appalachian Trail.  This time, I would head north on the trail.  The only time I ran this section was during the DWG Fatt Ass 50K.

It was a decent start.  It wasn't too chilly.  This section goes along the ridge for a bit and has some rocks, but it is manageable.  I cruised along.  I saw two hikers early on.

Within the first mile, the trail comes to this awesome overlook.  It has an amazing view to the south.  I stayed there a bit to take some photos.  Then, I was on my way.

This route has a bunch of small ups and downs.  Nothing is overly difficult, although it can get rocky at times.  I ran this section much better than when I went through there late in the race.

As I was running along, I came across two hikers and their dog, Thor.  They told me he was friendly, but I had to stop as he barked at me for a bit.  I was then on my way.

Originally, I was going to run out to 2 miles or 2.5 miles in this direction.  However, I didn't want to come across this dog again.  Therefore, I decided that I would be going out farther.

There were a couple rocks with a neat view to the south and east.  I could see over to a tower that I'd end up running to, as well as where the DWG is.  I continued along.  There was also a pipeline with views in both directions, as well as a powerline.

Near mile 3, I came to Totts Gap.  That's where the tower was at and also woods road to the bottom.  After going through a technical section, I decided to opt for a woods road, rather than continue on the trail.

This road eventually turns into the trail.  It was a good section to run smoother.  It made the overall pace go quicker.  At 3.5 miles, I turned around.

It was good to go back.  I was wondering if this direction would be as tough as I thought it was during the 50K.  It was time to find out.  It wasn't too bad.  I'm not quite sure which direction is easier.

Back at Totts Gap, I decided to stay on the road and go around the tower.  Going up the Gap is pretty technical, so I hiked some of it.  It was good to make progress.  I was shooting for hitting mile 5.  I knew it would be nice to have 2 miles left in the run.

It seemed like I went up and down, up and down.  I didn't stop to take photos this time, so it was much faster.  I got to mile 6 and was getting tired, but still moving along.

I then saw the hikers and Thor up ahead.  I feared they might stop somewhere with the views for a bit.  I was happy to see that Thor and one of the hikers was on the higher route that went toward the shelter.  I ran behind the hiker on the AT.  Of course Thor ran down the hill to him and I had to stop and walk past him again.

I then had some fun running along the ridge.  I was now nearing Route 191.  Since I didn't run on the AT on the way back, my mileage was a bit short.  Therefore, I ran back across the road and continued south on the other side.  I went out a short bit and hit mile 7.  I was happy to not see Thor on the way back.

Today was a solid run.  It is a good semi technical route without too much elevation gain.  Tomorrow, I'm hoping for a short run.  I might just go to Jacobsburg for 4 or 5 miles.  It should be a good tuneup for a big Saturday race.  I hope I can PR there.

7 miles - 1:27:30 (12:30 pace) 983 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment