Thursday, December 11, 2014

Snowy Christmas Trexler Night Run

I had some work to do yesterday, so I didn't get to run.  I was going to head to NY today for a run, but I didn't have enough daylight to make it there.  I still had to run though and chose to do so after dark.

I decided that I wanted to run Trexler and run the 10 mile loop.  That would be a solid workout.  I'd also avoid the creek crossing.  I knew the weather would be cold, but I was ready.

It was super cold when I got there.  The starting area by the Environmental Center is the worst.  It's always super windy.  That was indeed the case tonight.  I had on a lightweight long sleeve shirt under my vest.  That was cold until I warmed up a bit.  It was a good choice though.  I also wore tights along with gloves and a headband.  It worked out perfectly.  I even took the headband off midway through.

I was surprised at the start.  We had a coating of snow on the ground back home.  They had a decent accumulation.  It was probably an inch or two.  It did make a nice, soft runnable surface though.

I decided that I wasn't going to rush this run.  I walked up the early big hills and walked most of the more challenging hills.  I was taking it easy and the snow even made walking some of these a challenge.

It was nice and peaceful.  I cruised along over the first few miles.  It was pretty much uneventful.  I think some cars might've seen my headlamp and probably thought I was crazy.  The headlamp worked on this easy trail, but it was a narrow beam that was kind of hard to see.

I even walked a bit of the long hill.  There was a lone set of footprints and those eventually disappeared.  All that was left were animal tracks.  Some of the climbs were tricky, but I really had to be careful going down the steep downhills.

There are a few small streams around the big hills.  Most times of the year, they are a trickle.  Today, I barely made it leaping over them.  They were flowing well.  I can only imagine what the big creek crossing was like.

I hiked the steep hills.  Even the moderately steep ones were tricky.  The loose rocks made it very slippery and a slow go.  At least I didn't fall.  I only slipped a few times, once on some smooth rock.

I got up and over the big hills.  Then, I headed to the longer route, out around the zoo.  I was avoiding the creek crossing.  This is tough as it starts with a solid climb.  I hiked a lot of that.

The coolest part of the run then started.  I could see the zoo down below.  It was neat because they light it with Christmas Lights and play music for Christmas.  In the dark, I was worried that I wouldn't find the white trail back down, but I did eventually.

I saw some blood at one point and wondered if a deer had been shot there.  At least I didn't see blood being dragged.  I then got to the normally small stream that feeds into the big creek.  This was flowing very well.  I had no choice, but to briefly get my feet wet.  They were certainly chilly for a bit.

Next, was the climb up the Elk Trail.  I wasn't even halfway done with this run.  I was already becoming exhausted.  I hiked most of this climb, but did run some.  I saw six green, glowing eyes up ahead.  They were deer that I scared and ran off.

At the top of the ridge, things were neat.  I could really see and hear the zoo now.  I ran probably for a mile or more around the perimeter of it, on the ridge.  Eventually, I went downhill to the end of this trail.

Now was a lot of easy running.  First, it was a slick bridge over the creek.  Then, it was some pavement running for a bit, until I went back on to the Border Trail.  The rest of the Border Trail was fairly typical.  I walked some of it, but ran most of it.

Another car saw me near the road and probably thought I was crazy.  It was chilly and times and it snowed in my face a little.  At one point, something moved in these nearby cornstalks.  It was either an animal or the wind.

I hiked the last big hill before KidsPeace.  I was getting pretty beat by that point.  I began to realize that I'd probably finish the run under 2 hours though.  Taking my time and battling the snow, that was my goal.

I came out and flew on the KidsPeace road.  Then, I was back to the rolling singletrack.  These hills were a little tough.  Normally they are easy, but the snow added an interesting element.

I then crossed the last road and was about half a mile from the finish.  I knew I'd definitely come in under 2 hours.  I ran until the last steep hill.  I ran some of that, but hiked the steepest part.

I then ran the rest and finished up at 10 miles.  I was right at the parking lot.  I was exhausted, but it was a great run.  A car came in the lot for some reason and I think was really confused and surprised by me.  It then drove away.

I was glad to have such a cool and productive night run.  It was a good mental challenge too and should help me in the long run.  I'll probably run shorter tomorrow, but I should be able to run.  I have some orders to set up at work.

10 miles - 1:56:30 (11:39 pace) 2,060 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment