Sunday, December 14, 2014

First Port Clinton AT Run

I wanted a good long run today.  I thought about going to the Hamburg Reservoir, but figured at noon it would be crowded.  I didn't want a lot of hikers around.  Instead, I headed to nearby Port Clinton, to run on the AT.  It is a gap that I could run up both sides of.

It was quite warm for December.  I debated clothes, but I went with a lightweight long sleeve shirt and shorts.  I threw on a glove for my handheld hand.  That worked out good.  It was windy at the top of the mountain, but not too bad.

One of the best ultra runners in the region often leads mile repeats there.  I figured heading southbound first on the AT would be tough, but it couldn't be too tough.  I was in for a big surprise.  The climb was crazy hard and crazy steep early on.  It wasn't too rocky, but it was still nearly impossible to run, especially when I wasn't warmed up.  I just kept hiking up and up and up.  It was unbelievable how hard this was.  It was less than a mile and 900 feet of elevation gain.

There were a lot of leaves on the trail, but no snow, until I got much higher up.  The trail finally kind of leveled off, but even so, it still went uphill.  I was running some and hiking a lot.  It was a slow go.  It was so peaceful up there, especially when the trail was clear with snow on the side.

I came out to a pipeline and then later a woods road.  I think I was in State Game Lands.  I ran on that for a bit.  It was sloppy, but smooth and runnable.  It was kind of cool because there was a lot of space and plenty of views.

After a bit, I went back on the AT.  I got to the Auburn Lookout.  That had great views to the north.  I then ran on.  I was going out to around mile 4.  It got super rocky and I had to hike.  I could see the woods road off to the side, but wasn't sure how to get there.  I ran past several sets of prints.  I turned around and headed back to the first set.  It turned out they were actually deer prints.  I followed them and it worked pretty well. 

I came out with a few scratches, but was on to the woods road with some views.  I headed back and knew it would be better on the way back.  I could run most of it, since it was downhill.  I also stopped for a few nice photos.

The steep part toward the end was very tough.  I had to be careful not to fall.  It was so steep.  It was almost like the steep downhills at Trexler, but went on and on.

I got back to the parking lot and my car around 7.25 miles and 1 hour and 30 minutes.  I brought some salty chips and ate some of those.  I definitely didn't have enough fuel for the run.

I was looking forward to going out the other way.  Looking at a map beforehand, I knew this way would be easier.  I had not seen another person during the whole first part of the run, so that was nice.

The break was rather brief and I was back at it.  I hoped to run about as much in the second part of the run as the first.  I was curious where the trail went in this direction.  I knew it wouldn't cross over busy Route 61.  I walked briefly on the road.  Then, I saw that the trail turned to the right and went down some type of woods road.

This part was a mess.  It was super muddy.  I guess it is a pipeline and they are doing construction work there and tearing up the ground.

The trail went into the woods along the river briefly.  That was a nice singletrack, but it didn't last.  It went back to the slop.  After a bit, I ran down to an area along the river where people must party.  There were a lot of fire pits and trash.  The view was nice.

I backtracked and found the trail.  It crossed a smaller road.  There were some cool painting on the bridge under Route 61 before that.  I crossed the road and began the climb up the other side.

This side was much better.  It was a ridge singletrack.  It wrapped around the mountain, instead of going straight up it.  It was much more runnable and I ran it for a bit.  I alternated running and hiking.  Near one of the switchbacks, I came across a hiker.  That was my first human encounter of the run.

The route got rocky toward the top of the climb.  Two more hikers let me by.  There was then some nice singletrack on the mountain ridge.  The top wasn't wide, so there were great views both to the north and south.

I continued on.  The trail gradually climbed.  I ran a lot of it.  Then, it got super rocky and technical and I had to hike.

The trail changed again as it was smoother.  It still was gradually climbing.  I stopped to go to the bathroom on a side trail.  There were some nice views through the trees.  There was one decent semi clear view.

I ran out a bit more.  When I hit the very top, I turned around and headed back.  I knew going back would be more fun.  It was indeed.  I saw a deer run away from me.

I ran most of the way back.  It was a lot of downhill.  I did have to walk some of the more technical parts.  My body was tired and I was happy not to trip on any rocks.  My back was getting sore and I was becoming exhausting.

I cruised along.  It became a little tricky toward the end.  I had to make sure not to fall off the ridge.  I made it back down the road. 

I cruised around under the bridge and through the slop again.  I was back on the road then and nearly at my car.  I got back to my car at 13.1 miles.  Running a tough half marathon distance was perfect.  It was a productive run.

I was tired and hoped that I could've run farther and for more time.  However, I gave a good effort and climbed plenty.  It was a productive way to start the week.

Tomorrow and most of next week, I'm working a lot.  I'll get some running in, but I'll have to work it into my schedule.  Some runs might end up being at night.  I'll get it done.

13.1 miles - 3:12:47 (14:43 pace) 2623 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment