Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Foggy Early Winter Double Mt. Tammany Run

I wanted to run yesterday, but it didn't workout.  Originally, I was going to head to the Delaware Water Gap.  However, we had some freezing rain, so I couldn't chance the travel.  Then, I did drive to South Mountain after dark, to get in a night run.  However, it was super foggy at the top of the mountain.  I couldn't take a chance with a crappy headlamp too.

I had to get out to run today.  I headed out mid afternoon to run at the Delaware Water Gap.  I was looking forward to climbing here while the weather is still cooperating.  It was semi warm for this time of year.  It was quite foggy, but most of the snow had melted.  I'm quickly learning that I always need a jacket this time of year for mountain climbs.  Some spots are cold, while others are hot.  With hiking parts of the climbs, I'm always chilly at some point.

I drove over to the parking lot in New Jersey.  The plan was to double loop Mt. Tammany and add some partial climbing toward Sunfish Pond, if time permitted.  I wanted to loop in each direction.  I figured that running up the Blue Trail would be easier, so I started with that.

The first part of this was awesome.  It was a clear trail with some gradual climbing and the creek flowing below, while the mountainsides were covered with snow.  I came across a women hiking and a guy with his dog.  I yelled early, so I didn't startle the woman.  The dog was small, but seemed to be in the fighting mood.  It didn't do anything though.  Those were the only two people that I saw all run.  I had the place mostly to myself on this dreary day.

I got on to the blue trail.  I had already climbed a few hundred feet.  I ran the early part of the Blue Trail.  Somewhere around 400 feet of elevation gain, my breathing just got too labored and I began hiking.  That first climb is always so challenging, when my body isn't ready to run and I breathe heavy.

This Blue Trail was definitely a combination of running and hiking.  Some parts are fairly flat and runnable.  Others, are just too steep for me right now, or too rocky.  It seemed like it took quite awhile to get to the top.  Some of the scenery was neat.  Near the top, there was snow off to the sides of the trail and a lot of fog in the air.

I was happy that the rocks weren't bothering my feet too much.  They have recovered since the DWG Fatt Ass.  It was great to get to the top.  My back was a little sore from the climb.  I sure wearing a hydration pack didn't help much either.

It had been warm on the climb, but now it was chilly as I came to the windy side of the mountain.  I was running along the ridge and cruising along.  Then, right off to the side of the trail was a deer.  He just stared at me.  I stopped and stared back.  I couldn't quite believe how close he was and he didn't seem to care that I was getting closer.  I didn't want to scare him too much, so I kept standing and watching.  Finally, he headed up into the grass a bit and I walked past.  That was definitely my closest deer encounter to date. 

I cruised along the Blue Trail and then it ended.  I was at the top with the view of Mt. Minsi, except it was so foggy that you couldn't see anything.  That was interesting.

I was then on to the Red Dot Trail.  I missed the main part of it again, just like in the race.  I thought going downhill would be tough.  I was worried that I'd slip.  While it wasn't easy and I couldn't exactly run down at a decent clip, it wasn't quite slow either.  Getting down the rock scramble was somewhat interesting.

The great thing about running this mountain twice was that I got to know it better.  I've still only run or hiked here a handful of times.  I'm learning where I can and can't run.  That will be a big help going forward.

It was great to finally get to the bottom.  It took me just over an hour and I think I would've finished up under an hour without stopping for the deer.  That was worth it though.

I stopped at my car briefly.  I opened my bag and ate 3 pretzels.  I sure needed the nutrition.  I was sweating, so I drank some more.  I then headed back out.

This time, I would head up Mt. Tammany on the Red Dot Trail first.  This is the way that the crazy loop race in the spring goes.  I'm not ready to do that one.  I ran for quite a bit, but this is a tough one.

I was hoping to make it to the rock scramble section before having to hike.  However, that didn't happen.  One early section was fairly rocky and steep.  I pushed through for a bit before hiking.  So much of climbing is mental and I need to work on it, although of course I was breathing heavy.  It's really a matter of how long you can hold out and suffer through.

I went up the rock scramble fairly quickly.  I put gloves on partway through, so that I wouldn't cut my hands on the jagged edges.  Even after the rockiest part, I wasn't able to run much.  It was still rocky and steep.  That was disappointing.  I did run where I could though.

My back bothered me a lot hiking up this time.  At the top, I was around 2500 feet of elevation gain, with only about 5 miles completed.  That is certainly tough.  I was happier with this summit when compared to the other direction.  I ran more of this than I anticipated.  Still, I hiked a lot.

I ran along the ridge again on the Blue Trail.  My deer friend was still there hanging out, although farther up into the woods.  I wondered if I would see him again.  I came across two more deer a short time later on the bottom side of the ridge.  They ran off a little more than the first deer.  I tiptoed over all the rocks at the top.

Descending the Blue Trail is fun.  I was able to pretty much run down the whole thing, although slowly.  It was still quite wet.  I was amazed that I had yet to fall and then it happened.  I was almost walking down a flat rock and slide and fell on my butt.  Luckily, it was just a little dirty and didn't actually hurt.

I continued to cruise down the hill.  I kept an eye on my watch, as I was hoping to complete this loop in under an hour.  I came to the bottom of the Blue Trail and made my way toward the Appalachian Trial.  The footbridges were icy, so I had to be careful.

I wanted to run back to my car, drop my pack and then run a little more.  I was at about 2500 feet of elevation gain and I wanted to run to 3000 feet of elevation gain.  I came across the woman from early and this time I caused her to jump.  She asked how far and where I'd run.  She was impressed when I told her.  I think this loop took about 56 minutes.

I headed back out after dropping my pack.  Darkness was closing in.  I was only planning on a short bit of running though.  I chatted with the woman briefly again and was then on my way.  Since I was running the more gradual section toward Sunfish Pond, I was able to run most of it.  I did hike a little.

I gradually went up and up.  I was closing in on 3000 feet.  At one point, the trail flattened for awhile.  I was just short of my goal elevation gain, but decided to turn around.  I had already gone out about a mile.

I headed back.  I could see the shadows of the mountains at one point and they just looked awesome at dusk.  I had to pay attention though, because there were plenty of rocks and I could barely see them.

I cruised down of a bit and then when I got to a fairly steep descent, I turned around and ran back up briefly.  I went until my watch was over 3000 feet.  Of course, when I did an elevation correction later, it was just shy of that.

I finished up just in time.  It was getting super dark and I didn't have my headlamp on.  It was great to be done with such a productive run.  I got a lot climbing in, so it was a great day once again.  I'm very happy with it.  I'll be back to this place over and over and over again.

Tomorrow, I'm sticking a little closer to home.  I'm hoping to run a loop at South Mountain (Lehigh).  That should be about 8 miles, with some climbing, but less than today.  It should be a little more relaxing of a day.  I'm running a 50k on Saturday, so I don't want to overdo it.  I'm hoping I'll be able to end the week with over 10,000 feet of elevation gain.  That would be outstanding.


9.57 miles - 2:31:55 (15:52 pace) 2,914 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment