Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Evening/Night AT Run (Route 191)

I haven't got out for a run in a few days.  Christmas is always a busy day.  However, when family finally left, I knew I had to go run.  For one, I needed to test out the new gear.

It was quite late by the time I got started (after 4 PM).  I stayed somewhat local, but decided on a semi new section of trail.  I ran and hiked the AT from Route 191 before, but it was always going Northbound.  I never went Southbound, so I did that.

The plan was for a simple 5 miles.  I knew the end of it would be in the dark.  I was hoping to get most of the run in before that though.

It was a warm day again.  It was in the mid 40s, even with the sun setting.  However, I knew it would be windy on the top of the mountain, so I wore a jacket.  That worked great over my short sleeves.  I also added some shorts.

I was wearing my new Ultimate Direction AK Race Vest 2.0.  I asked for soft bottles as well.  When the bottles were full, they were kind of annoying as they flopped around.  They are larger than the bottles that came with the pack.  I'll have to either get used to the flopping or fill the bottles up less.  Once they drained out, I could tuck them down and they were much better.  I really didn't even notice the lightweight vest by the end.  I think it will work out great.

The beginning of the run had a moderate climb.  However, it wasn't much as I started at the top of the mountain already.  That was the plan, as I wasn't looking for much elevation gain.  The beginning was a relatively smooth woods road and very runnable.

After about a mile, things got interesting.  It became a much rockier singletrack.  Now, it was more typical of the AT.  That slowed me down.  There was a sign for the Wolf Rocks bypass, blazed with blue.  It said that it met back up with the AT in a mile.

However, I wanted to see Wolf Rocks, so I didn't leave the AT.  It was still kind of smooth until right near the rocks.  The rocks are awesome.  They are a ledge of large rocks at the top of the mountain.  There are some nice views to the north.  The AT goes right over them and I had to hike most of this.  I stopped for some photos and then ran some of the end.

After the rocks, the following section was still tricky.  There were more smaller rocks.  The sun was setting too, so that made it interesting.  I was looking to get to where the blue trail met up with the AT.  Then, I'd run back.

I was never able to find the blue trail.  I kept going and going.  I knew I couldn't afford to go too far as it was getting dark and I may have to backtrack.  I turned around at mile 3 and put on my headlamp.

It got darker and darker and I had to be careful over the rocky section.  I really wasn't looking forward to going over Wolf Rocks in the dark.  It wasn't super dangerous, but it wasn't safe either.  I knew with it being dark, no one would find me right away if something did happen.

There was a lot of wind and it moved the trees.  That made things interesting and a little eerie.  I was a tad bit uncomfortable, but I soldiered on.

I found the blue trail now as I was heading back.  I took it for a short distance, but realized that the blazes were hard to see in the dark.  Rather than risk it and get lost, I opted to go back on the AT and over Wolf Rocks.  The white blazed AT was very visible with my headlamp.  I had trouble on some of the very technical sections, as I still haven't found the best setting for my headlamp.

Wolf Rocks was kind of neat in the dark.  I went slowly and made it through.  I could see some of the lights from Stroudsburg in the distance.  I took a photo of that.  I think there was deer below the trail that startled me a bit.  I never did see it.

Descending Wolf Rocks in the dark was a bit interesting.  I was thinking of organizing a winter midnight run through this section, but I may need to reconsider it.  I was glad to get off of Wolf Rocks and back toward smoother trail.

The last mile and a half was much better.  It was much more runnable, especially toward the end.  I could really open it up.  I also felt better knowing that I was much closer to my car.  I continued along.

I was now on the top of the mountain.  It was neat as I could see lights on both sides, through the trees.  To my left was Stroudsburg and to my right was Bangor/Pen Argyl and the rest of the Lehigh Valley.  I had some nice downhill now.

I finished up right near 6 miles, at my car.  It was good to be done.  I got to test out a lot of my gear.  My back was a bit sore again, so I'll have to monitor that closely.

I'm hoping to run again tomorrow and Saturday.  One run might be shorter and closer and I may travel for the other.  I have no idea where yet though.  I'll decide on the fly.

6.01 miles - 1:33:22 (15:32 pace) 441 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment