Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Rainy Dusk J-Burg Run

I went back and forth over whether or not to run today.  It wasn't too cold, but it was rainy and unpleasant.  I had plenty of rain to deal with over the weekend.  I decided I'd feel better if I ran though.

I wasn't looking to do much.  I headed out very late in the afternoon and barely had time for even a short run.  I went to Jacobsburg.  The plan was to run the open field short loop, so I'd have light a little longer.

I finally was dressed well.  I had on shorts, a short sleeve shirt, a jacket and a hat.  It was a good combination.  The hands were chilly at the start, but not too bad overall. 

I decided to do this route a bit differently than normal.  I went back up and around the new building and then was going to go to the fun ridge section.  Going up around the building, two deer ran from me.  It was raining a little, but not too bad.

The ridge was fun as always.  I just have to be careful.  I sure don't want to fall down it.  When it was icy at the end of last winter, it was super slippery and that nearly happened that day.

After the ridge, I came to the old house in the park.  One adult deer and three young deer were standing in the grass and staring at me.  That was cool, so I tried to take their photo.  As I started to get ready for the picture, the mother took off and the babies followed.  I tried to get them running, but had no luck.

After that part, it was up the gradual climb.  I was breathing a bit by the top, but this is a much easier climb than during the humidity of the summer.  I'll take winter running any day.

I ran through the open field sections.  At times, it was sloppy, where the trail doesn't drain well.  One cool thing was seeing the mountain in the background.  I would've preferred to be up there on the AT, but I was going for an easy day today.

I was in a rush to start this run and forgot my orange vest.  Hunting season has been going on for awhile, the weather was crappy and I was running an open field section, so I wasn't too worried.  Then, after mile 3, I came around a corner and startled a hunter.  He didn't point his gun at me, but he did raise it slightly.  I apologized and was lucky he didn't aim at me.

After that point, it was all downhill.  I was having fun cruising around and enjoying the easy day.  I arrived back at my car around 3.65 miles.  I wanted to run to 4 miles, so I went out the start of the loop and back for some distance.  I then finished the run.

It was a nice and quick run.  There were some events.  Nothing was too challenging, the conditions sucked and the trail was kind of boring, but not every run can be spectacular.  It was good to get this one done.

I'm not sure on the plan for tomorrow.  It is supposed to snow farther up north.  I might try to take advantage of that.  I'm thinking that I may try to run in the Delaware Water Gap, but the Cliffs area.  That's a lot of ridge running, but pretty scenery too.  It would probably be neat in the snow, with the combination of waterfalls, ponds and cliffs.  I'll see what my schedule is like.

4.01 miles - 36:54 (9:13 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment