Friday, December 12, 2014

Nolde Forest State Park

I'm always looking for new trails to explore.  I didn't have time to go too far today.  I got work done early and decided to head to Reading to check out the Nolde Forest State Park.  My friends Kristin and Russ ran a race there.  Kristin said she liked it, but I wouldn't enjoy it.  She was correct.

I went to the main office first and that was neat.  I guess the place used to be a rich guy's house.  It was like an old castle.  There was a lot of surrounding land.

I couldn't run at that lot, since it closed at 4 PM.  Therefore, I used the bathroom and headed to the Sawmill Lot.  That was a good place to start.  I had no real plans and had to look at a map.  There are a lot of trails there, but the place didn't seem too big, so I wasn't concerned about getting lost.

It was a bit chilly, but overall pretty nice for December.  I went with a lightweight long sleeve shirt and fleece vest over it.  I wore tights and only had a glove on my handheld bottle hand.  I got chilled a bit later, so I added my headband.

After studying the map, I decided to take the route with the most elevation gain.  That was actually a mistake, as it was steeper than I expected.  My breathing wasn't under control yet, so I had to hike some.  I didn't anticipate anything more than a moderate climb here.  I was surprised.

I hike a lot of this early singletrack in the first mile.  Then, I stopped and took pictures at a rock outcrop.  I was on my way along one of the main trails.  This trail sucked.  It was mostly just a wide woods road with some stones and a gradual incline.  I found it very boring.

I even ended up hiking some of the easier sections.  I just didn't enjoy the running terrain.  I also ate a decent lunch and didn't feel all that great.  Plus, I was still a bit beat from yesterday's challenging effort.

Of course with it being a wide and smooth woods road, I knew I'd be able to run a lot of it.  I was thrilled when I finally managed to find a fun singletrack section.  That didn't last long though.  I was then on another woods road.  I guess there were a lot of these throughout this guy's estate.  It was no fun.

I hiked some more, but continued on.  I looked everywhere for singletrack.  Finally, I at least found some doubletrack.  Even this was easy running though.  At least it was downhill.  I found it boring.  I guess this could be a nice place to begin trail running at, but it wasn't a challenge for me at all.

I took out my map a few times, to confirm where I was.  One of the more fun sections was a wet downhill.  It had been blocked off by trees.  As I got to the bottom, I saw why.  It led to nowhere.

I had to bushwack briefly to get back to the trail.  I then came out to a pond.  The soggy ground before that was kind of fun.  Then, I climbed some more singletrack.  I ran it for a bit, but it got challenging for my tired body.

Shortly after that, I arrived back at the main office.  I checked a map and was going to climb some to get back to the Sawmill Lot.  However, I was kind of beat, so I decided to just take this paved road.

At least this was downhill.  I then was going to stay on that road because another road said it was closed.  However, I saw a singletrack below that road.  I hopped on that and it was fun.  It was along a creek and one of the best sections of the run.  Finally some singletrack.  This then led back to the parking lot.

Since I was a little over 4 miles.  I decided to continue out along the creek.  I was able to add some more climbing too.  I was breathing heavy going uphill.  I went back down and finished up near my car.  I was thrilled to be done.

I need more singletrack.  This was one of my least favorite runs ever.  At least it is done and I've tried something new.  I doubt I'll ever be back. 

Tomorrow, I'm not sure if I'll run.  I have to work and also hope to watch some of the XC Nationals at Lehigh.  A rest day wouldn't be a bad thing anyway.  I definitely hope to run on Sunday and hopefully for a long time.

5 miles - 1:00:56 (12:11 pace) 1099 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment