Thursday, March 20, 2014

Windy Start to Spring

It is the first day of spring and also the first day of the NCAA basketball tournament.  That meant that I didn't have a lot of time to run.  I would've liked to have run in the morning, but it didn't happen.  I was hoping to run between the afternoon and evening games.  Then I found out that I had to work at night.  That meant I needed to squeeze the run in during the mid afternoon.

Since I didn't want to waste much time, I elected not to travel.  I would've preferred a Jacobsburg run.  Instead, it was a short run around the neighborhoods.  The plan was 5 miles.  I figured I'd start with a short loop, then run the Blue Eagle 5k course and add onto that if needed.

The weather was interesting.  It was quite warm in the 40s, but the winds are crazy.  They are 20 MPH.  I would've preferred 10 degrees colder and no wind.  At least I could wear shorts.  I had on a jacket and that was good against the wind, but otherwise it was hot.

I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch and that was only 2 hours earlier.  At least I was running easy.  The stomach was a little unsettled early, but overall not bad.  I have new shoes, but have yet to lace them properly, so I ran with the old shoes.

I did the short loop and encountered a lot of wind.  I tried not to push, but I think I sort of have a habit of doing that when I come to a headwind.  My first mile was an 8:02.  That's faster than I usually start at.

My legs did enjoy the freedom and I think I ran faster, but at the same time, I think the compression tights helped my sore legs yesterday.  They were definitely a bit sore today.  I had some KT Tape on too, but it started falling off very early on.

I enjoyed when I had the wind at my back.  That wasn't often in the beginning though.  As I approached mile 2, I noticed the pace had dropped a lot.  I was settled in now.  Mile 2 was a 7:27.

I was to the halfway point and not long after that, I was headed back.  Now, the wind would be behind me for the most part.  I ran very consistent.  Miles 3 and 4 were both 7:28s.  Most of the final mile was with the wind at my back, but it was a mix of that situation and headwinds. 

I got back to the road across from the elementary school.  There was too much traffic on that road, so I turned around for the final tenth of a mile.  This final mile was slightly faster than the previous ones.  It was run at 7:17.  I'm amazed at the pace I can now run easy, especially considering that my legs are sore and my lunch was still in my stomach.

Tomorrow, I want to try to run in the morning.  I'm hoping to hit the trails.  I'd like to get to Jacobsburg before work (if I have work).  I'm hoping I can get 10 miles in.  I'm also hoping that my legs will thank me for the trail run.

5 miles - 37:42 (7:32 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment