Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Simple 5

Sunday's 15 mile goal paced run was very challenging.  I needed to recover from it, so I took yesterday off.  I didn't have much soreness and actually felt quite good yesterday and today.  It was time to run again.  Since I'm in taper mode, I'm not doing much running or much mileage.  Today was only a planned easy 5 miler.

It was another day in the mid 20s with some sun, but mostly cloudy.  What else is new?  It is March now, but no different than the rest of the winter.  I wore my usual attire, including the fleece vest.  That worked out well.

I went to Hugh Moore Park to start the run.  I thought about going to Riverview, but I felt like running toward Easton instead.  I parked near the end of the lot, not far from the National Canal Museum.  I did the small loop by the museum and then headed out toward Easton.

I felt alright, but was kind of hoping that my legs would have more pop in them.  Maybe I could use even more rest during this taper.  As I headed along the canal, I hit the first mile.  I was going easy and it was an 8:01.  I'm starting to notice that even my easy run pace is getting quite a bit faster.  I usually don't open with that quick of a first mile.

I cruised along.  There was ice to dodge here and there.  For the most part, the trail was clear.  Mertz had told me that the lower section was icy.  I figured by now it would've melted some.  I was wrong.  It was a complete sheet of ice.

I went out until I got to 1.75 miles (which wasn't far) and turned around.  I ran carefully over the ice and back up the hill.  That ended up slowing me down and mile 2 was an 8:04.

Now, I was clear of most of the ice and going slightly downhill for the third mile.  The only issue was that I'd have to either run toward Riverview on the way back or do at least 2 loops around Hugh Moore Park.  Even though I had to run on Lehigh Drive, I opted for Riverview.

Running on Lehigh Drive is never fun, especially in the winter with no grass to run on.  This truck came up pretty fast and it didn't look like he was going to slow down.  Thankfully he did though.  I guess I was cruising now.  Mile 3 was a 7:27.

I couldn't believe how easy a sub 7:30 mile has become.  The only thing that made me breathe a little heavy at all was the slight breeze of cold air.  Other than that, it was easy.  I got to Riverview and then ran onto the trail.

I planned to run to 3.75 miles and turn around.  The short uphill part was icy and I had to run over it cautiously.  I turned around and headed back with 1.25 miles to go.  Some dogs were up ahead, so it was good that I turned around.

Mile 4 was another 7:27.  I sure was consistent.  I think part of the reason for the faster times is the day off.  I do notice that my easy pace seems to be a little faster after a rest day.  I guess that makes sense.

I ran back out of Riverview and along Lehigh Drive.  I only had one car this time and it slowed for me.  I finished up by starting the loop and I was right under the 25th Street Bridge when I completed the run.  I did feel faster on that last mile, but it still wasn't too hard.  I was very surprised to see that it was a 7:09.  It didn't take much work.  I guess the downhill helped.

I walked back to my car.  I then did some form drills.  I haven't done them in some time and I don't do them often enough.  I need to start doing more of the little things like that.  I also should get back to doing some type of core work.  I always have trouble sticking to it though.  I can run and run and run, but other stuff is hard for me to dedicate myself to.  I get bored with it too quickly and the results don't come quickly enough.

Tomorrow, I'm taking off again.  Thursday, I will be running.  Emily said she is available that day, so hopefully we can meet up and run 8 miles.  I'm trying to get some extra rest this week, so I'm basically running every other day.

5 miles - 38:08 (7:37 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment